Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Kensington Turbo Mouse Drivers for System 7.6 (Page 1 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2, 3  Next
  wove (Profile)

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:06 pm

The software for the Kensington Mouse drivers available on their web site, states that OS 8.1 is required. This is not correct, the software does install fine on 7.6.1 (PowerPC only). It installs the Appearence Manager software and I am not sure whether that is good or bad.

A nice feature one gets with this software is ability to use the trackball for scrolling and this works fine in System 7.6.1.

The Mouseworks software does only work with PPC machine and with the four button trackballs. If anyone happens to know where to get the earlier versions of the Mouseworks software that works with 68K machines and with earlier versions of the OS it would be very handy to have a post link.

Thanks
bill

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:24 am

wove wrote:

It installs the Appearence Manager software and I am not sure whether that is good or bad.

Very bad. See if the mouse will function with Appearance manager disabled.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:47 am

dpaanlka wrote:

wove wrote:

It installs the Appearence Manager software and I am not sure whether that is good or bad.

Very bad. See if the mouse will function with Appearance manager disabled.

The Kensington Turbo Mouse functions as a stock one button mouse even without any additional software. Version 5 of the Mouseworks software does not seem to function without the Applearance Manager Lib, however the trackball does function as a one button mouse without any drivers.

Version 4 of the Mouseworks software should work fine with 7.6.1. I will dig about and see if I can find an old copy. What is it about the Appearance Manager that is bad with 7.6.1. I seem to recall reading something about the matter, but find nothing close at hand.

bill
--
posted with a PM8600/350 running 7.6.1

Ursa (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:29 pm

Here's a post on a different thread concerning Appearance Manager:

dpaanlka wrote:

Apperance Manager was never 100% optimized for Mac OS 7, and there are enough little bugs here and there that annoy me to the point where I can't use it. I'll try to explain the best I can, it can be rather confusing...

In Mac OS 7.6.1, the GUI is largely 68k coded, and placing Apperance Manager on top of that doesn't change that, it simply "skins" it, so even on PowerPC Macs you're rendering Mac OS 8's more complex GUI through 68k emulation. Yuck.

Mac OS 7's black and white GUI is faster through 68k emulation than Mac OS 8's native PowerPC platinum GUI, however Mac OS 8's platinum GUI running through 68k emulation on Mac OS 7 runs slower than all of them.

Fastest - Mac OS 7's Built in GUI
Average - Mac OS 8's Built in GUI
Slow - Mac OS 7 running Mac OS 8's GUI

Also, Apperance Manager on Mac OS 7 often leaves screen artifacts, doesn't redraw properly, and gosh darnit makes WindowShade crazy! I suppose if your personal taste overwhelms all of the above facts, then you're right it's a matter of personal taste.

I should make this an article on why not to use Apperance Manager.

So there you have it. I used to use AM under System 7.5.5 but dumped it after getting artifacts and odd windowing behavior on my display.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:26 pm

Ursa wrote:

Here's a post on a different thread concerning Appearance Manager:

dpaanlka wrote:

Apperance Manager was never 100% optimized for Mac OS 7, and there are enough little bugs here and there that annoy me to the point where I can't use it. I'll try to explain the best I can, it can be rather confusing...

So there you have it. I used to use AM under System 7.5.5 but dumped it after getting artifacts and odd windowing behavior on my display.

Thank you for the information. I was not even aware that the Appearance Manager worked with 7.5.5. You can turn of the "Platinum Appearance" in the Appearance Manager which does bring the desktop back to the stock System 7 look.

I have always felt that the desktop under System 6 was the most productive. Icons at that point were very much symbols at that point and I found it easiest to tell things apart at a quick glance. And along the same lines I like System 7's desktop better than OS 8 or OS 9, which are in my opinion far better than what we have been given in OS X.

bill

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:27 pm

I would just disable Appearance Manager altogether, as even though disabling the Platinum appears to bring back the stock interface, it actually isn't (as indicated by the 3D colored Apple). So artifacts and stuff will still remain, and although I haven't done any testing, I wouldn't be surprised if it is still slower.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.