Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Macintosh HFS on Large Drives (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  ianj (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:08 pm

New member here.

My main System 7 Mac is a Quadra 840AV running 7.6.1 on 96 MB of RAM. I also have a few '030 pizza boxes (IIci, IIsi, LC III) that all run 7.1. My non-System 7 Macs are a Power Mac G4, MacBook Pro, and a 6500 running 8.6. I'd run 7.6 on the 6500, but I want the large drive support HFS+ offers.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:30 pm

ianj wrote:

I want the large drive support HFS+ offers.

Mac OS 7.6.1 can support any size drive Mac OS 9 can. The only problem is small file sizes, but usually people don't consider that such a big deal until the drives start getting huge like 20 GB. It also has less of an impact with large files.

loverofmusic (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:49 pm

I use a Duo 2300c with a 20GB internal drive and System 7.6.1. I don't have multiple partitions, instead I have several disk image files which I use to manage lots and lots of small files efficiently and effectively. Only the system folder and a copy of Disk Copy for mounting the images is directly on the hard drive. Every application and file are on a disk image. I also use disk images to mount images of CD-ROMs without a CD drive attched, again without a big efficiency hit. I have not noticed any significant performance penalty associated with this approach.

BTW, if anyone is planning on installing a modern IDE drive into something as ancient as a Duo, I recommend obtaining the proper brackets first. Doing it without the right brackets, like I did, is a bit risky, since it requires shimming the drive to "friction fit" it into place. That was the last drive that is ever going into that Duo frame.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:10 pm

And in my situation, I use the entire capacity of a 10 GB SCSI hard disk as a single Mac OS 7.6.1 partition, and all my files and apps are stored on it, and I don't even notice the large file sizes (we're talking about 100 KB here).

ianj (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:55 pm

dpaanlka wrote:

Mac OS 9 can. The only problem is small file sizes, but usually people don't consider that such a big deal until the drives start getting huge like 20 GB. It also has less of an impact with large files.

So I can format a 4 GB drive as HFS standard with no appreciable loss in capacity? The rule of thumb that I used to hear was that anything over 2 GB or so in HFS standard would be wasting space, but if that's not true I might drop my 6500 back to 7.6.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:06 am

I think you would find a 6500 to be a real delight running 7.6.1. It will be snappy and responsive compared to newer OSes. In real world usage, I do not think you would see much difference between HFS and HFS+ on a 4GB drive.

Overall HFS+ uses space more efficiently, but for typical personal use with the System 7 it matters very little. If efficient space usage is desired or required you can work around any matters using disk images for collections of small files. For large files HFS is sufficient with no work-arounds required.

bill

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.