Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Topic: Quickdraw GX font technologies (Page 1 of 1)
  beachycove (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:12 pm

How does one display fractions, ligatures, etc. under Quickdraw GX in 7.6.1? Some of the GX fonts were meant to have extra characters and features, but I cannot find any of these. Was this only for high-end software or ought such features to work with Wordperfect and similar mid-range products?

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:10 am

I wouldn't recommend using QuickDraw GX - it causes some networking and display issues when it is installed.

beachycove (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:35 am

Actually, I find the screen draws far better under it italics display properly, for example, which they certainly don't without it. As an academic writer, the readability of the screen is important to me. It would be good to have improved printing output also hence the question. I gather that the technology was not taken up by the developers, however, which is why the whole GX thing was dropped.

I am not familiar with the networking problems possible, but as this is on a Duo 2300c, there won't be much more than the simplest of Appletalk networking required (backing up to a share). Will there be conflicts at this level of networking?

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:52 pm

To be honest I can't distinctly remember what it was, because it was years ago that I kept running into the same problem and it was always because of GX, and I have elected to not install GX on anything ever since.

If it works fine for you then go for it!

beachycove (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:03 am

Having dug deeper, I now gather that Quickdraw GX based programs were niche products, i.e., very few and far between, and that most conventional software managed only "compatibility" with GX. This means that the potential of GX was 99% unrealized in typographical terms in user experience. Those who dabbled it must have liked it, however; I have seen references to a "Quickdraw GX fan club" website from the mid-90s!

There are a couple of freeware extensions that can increase the memory allocated to fonts in the system (Fontfix is one such), so as to allow for more of the characters in full GX fonts like Hoefler Text to display (they basically cannot otherwise under the MacOS as is), but the advanced typographical features that might have been implemented under GX are quite alien to most day to day software, so it hardly seems worth the bother. I am also not certain how far this workaround would get you in actual use, as a workaround is certainly not the system-wide functionality intended by Apple circa 1995. What was intended was a thing of beauty; alas, this beauty was a massive commercial flop.

Quickdraw GX has just given me better screen display of italics, mind you! This may seem a small thing, but it's a problem that has frustrated me for a long time. As someone who for 20 years has written papers and books on the Macintosh platform, I have found it hard (on screen, obviously, not on paper) to see the space between an italicized word and the next word in ordinary (Roman) font, or between an italicized word and a normal punctuation mark like a comma or a period. Even MacOS 9.2 struggles with this; I know, I have just finished pumping out 160,000 words on a Wallstreet running 9, and had to go in manually to check punctuation and spacing more times than I could count. Maybe some fonts behave better than others in this respect, but I never found them. Yet here this weekend, I discovered that Quickdraw GX, installed along with ye olde MacOS 7.6.1, on a humble Powerbook 2300c and using the stalwart freebie WordPerfect 3.5e, long ago solved the problem nicely. On my little Duo's screen, all looks like it should. It's not the fonts, seemingly, but the mathematics controlling 2D display in general that does the trick. This particular functionality would not be realized again until the release of the new graphics engines and typographical features found in OS X.

madmann (Profile)
  256 MB

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:32 pm

i had similar issues while working on my thesis. I was using word 5.x. with the show paragraph markers on it would show a small gray dot for each space. The problem was that a period looked about the same. My fix was to use res edit to hack word to change all the paragraph markers color to magenta. This has worked great

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.