Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Hello! (Page 1 of 1)
  toddyjoe (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:23 am

As the newest of the new folks, I just wanted to say hello to everyone here and introduce myself.

My name is Todd and I am a thirtysomething from Wisconsin, USA. I "was" a longtime PC/Windows guy with only a passing interest in the inner workings of computers until a few years ago, focusing more on my main loves: music and playing and recording music. At that time, I started moving from analog to digital recording and began developing an interest in more electronic instruments and music compared to my guitar/piano/bass/drum roots. In short time, I stopped using "MIDI" and "plug-in" as curse words and started to embrace the newer technologies.

As I got more into the digital realm, I became interested in Linux as it offered lots of freeware and open-source stuff for experimentation without having to spend my life savings on pricey Windows applications. Learning Linux on a PC naturally meant learning more about computers and operating systems... and resolving software and hardware conflicts. Thus my interest in computers themselves grew, as did my love of anything computer-related that was FREE.

It was around that time that I got my first free Mac computer: a Powermac 7200/120. In no time, the endless tweaking and tinkering I was doing with Linux on a PC transferred to my new "old Mac." Taking advantage of the depreciated prices of older Mac hardware and applications, my 7200/120 is now a Powermac 7500 running maxed-out VRAM and RAM, two large internal hard drives, an internal CD writer, a Sonnet 1Ghz G4 accelerator and a dual-monitor set-up. It boots both Mac OS 9.1 and OS X 10.3.9 Panther depending on which applications I want to use.

I decided to find another free Mac thereafter in the form of a Performa 5260. Again, a little tinkering and a little rummaging for older "outdated" hardware and software turned the 5260 into a 5400 with maximum RAM, an AV card, and a Sonnet L2 400Mhz G3 accelerator. It boots Mac OS 9.1 and, of course, OS 7.6.1.

I have been a lurker on this forum for some time and thought it would be a good time to become an official, registered member. Plus, I have amassed a collection of older Mac hardware that some of you can no doubt use better than I can if I post it in the Classifieds.

Thanks for reading and thanks for the welcome!
Todd

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:44 am

Welcome to System 7 Today. Collecting Mac items is pretty popular around here. Seems it might be some sort of addiction. You can post items you wish to sell to the Classified area of the forum.

Enjoy your visits.

bill

toddyjoe (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:16 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.