Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Snow Leopard sharing to Classic Mac OS (Page 2 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  mycatisbigfoot (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:59 am

I know there is a porgram called dave, or somthing like that, It runs in mac os 9 and its a smb networking thingy, I know osx has smb

napabar (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:00 pm

mycatisbigfoot wrote:

I know there is a porgram called dave, or somthing like that, It runs in mac os 9 and its a smb networking thingy, I know osx has smb

SMB doesn't preserve the resource fork. If one doesn't care about that, much easier and cheaper to just use FTP.

napabar (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:40 pm

Hey guys, I have some partial good news. I updated to 10.6.2 last night. One of the fixes listed was "compatibility with third-party AFP servers". I fired up my 6500 with OS 9.2.2 and was able to connect to it from Snow Leopard with full read/write access! I can confirm this work with 7.6.1 and ShareWay IP as well. On the downside, neither OS 9.2.2 or 7.6.1 were able to connect to Snow Leopard as a client. At least it's something.

defor (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:56 am

for reference, the 10.6.2 update doesn't affect classic appleshare at all- the patch they're referring to had to do with the fact that afptcp volumes have a id attached to them - as it was, apple for some reason restricted the supported id numbers with the release of 10.6.0 to a fixed set that only supported apple official servers. Novell, for example, made a patch to work around this in their AFPTCP.NLM for traditional netware, but there's no support for classic file serving at all in 10.6.x as it stands, and I don't expect for any to be added.

As suggested, I'd look to the netatalk project for a possible solution, or jsut stick to connecting TO your sys7 mac from within 10.6.0

This affects ALL versions of classic MacOS, btw, not just 7.x!

napabar (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:58 pm

defor wrote:

for reference, the 10.6.2 update doesn't affect classic appleshare at all- the patch they're referring to had to do with the fact that afptcp volumes have a id attached to them - as it was, apple for some reason restricted the supported id numbers with the release of 10.6.0 to a fixed set that only supported apple official servers. Novell, for example, made a patch to work around this in their AFPTCP.NLM for traditional netware, but there's no support for classic file serving at all in 10.6.x as it stands, and I don't expect for any to be added.

As suggested, I'd look to the netatalk project for a possible solution, or jsut stick to connecting TO your sys7 mac from within 10.6.0

This affects ALL versions of classic MacOS, btw, not just 7.x!

Define "Classic Appleshare". I think you're getting confused with AppleTalk.

10.6 broke connecting to Classic Mac AFP servers using TCP/IP, and from Classic Macs with TCP/IP connecting to a 10.6 machine.

10.6.2 restores the ability to connect to Classic Mac AFP servers using TCP/IP, just not the other way around. It's a fact, and I've proven it right here in my computer room.

Thanks for playing.

napabar (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:05 pm

Never mind. I re-read your post. We're not in disagreement. My bad.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.