Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: MacX for X session over SSH in System 7 (Page 2 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2
  passthejoe (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:34 pm

Just downloaded the mixppc.sit - I'll have to fire up the Powerbook 1400 and see what I can do with it.

The PB 1400 is still a nice hunk of hardware after all these years quality-wise.

If I could get credible X Window use of the PB 1400, that would be great. It's been awhile since I had an ssh server set up on my Linux/Unix boxes, so I'll have to do that first.

gillham (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:20 pm

Another option for running X on an older Mac is running vnc server (apt-get install vnc4server) instead. It can be pretty fast and you could probably skip ssh port forwarding if your Linux box is on your secure local network. You can get a normal Gnome desktop to run under vnc server and just use a vnc client on the old mac. All of the hard work will be done on the Linux system and if your vnc client crashes you just reconnect.

With the following in ~/.vnc/xstartup you get a full Gnome desktop and selecting "logout" from the menu actually shuts the vnc server down.

#!/bin/sh

unset SESSION_MANAGER
/usr/bin/gnome-session
/bin/sleep 2
/usr/bin/vnc4server -kill $DISPLAY

#
# end-of-file
#

breetie (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:06 am

gillham wrote:

--Another option for running X on an older Mac is running vnc server (apt-get install vnc4server) instead.

*sniff*

All this talk of linux and Mac OS 7...it just brings a nostalgic tear to my eye.

*drip**sniff*

chal4oye (Profile)
  1 MB

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:53 am

Generates a message similar to "Communications Toolbox missing".

If I put the basic connectivity set from apple.com in my System Folder it starts and says roughly "Communications Toolbox not working, will not accept connections until then".

-----------
GuL:

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.