Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Sonnet Crescendo G3 and NuBus Mac... (Page 1 of 1)
  breetie (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:12 am

So, I found this Sonnet Crescendo G3 266MHz/1M Cache PDS upgrade in a stack of my stuff, figured I'd install it in this WGS 8150 I've been working on. Unfortunately, the thing won't boot with the extension from Sonnet installed. I've tried the 3.1 installer from S7T, as well as an older installer I found in my Google-dredging (2.3.1), neither of which work. Once the machine gets to the point that it's time to load the extension for the processor card, the system crashes/freezes. Am I using the wrong extension with the card? I was able to find the manual for it, and I followed the install instructions to the letter (including removing the cache from the M/B), but it does the same thing, no matter what extensions are installed or disabled. I even tried all off except the Sonnet extension, and it still froze. Is this an indication I'm using the wrong software, or does it just mean the processor card is dead? Thoughts?

breetie (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:44 am

I figured this out with some help from a parts source of mine. Basically, there were issues with some of these PDS Sonnet processor upgrades, one of which was freezing issues on startup with 8100-series machines if a SCSI device is plugged into the external port.

So, lesson here, the Sonnet PDS cards don't like devices connected to the external SCSI port. In my case, it's an MO drive from Olympus (a SYS.230, if it matters), but honestly I'd be more disappointed if it was my NuBus JPEG compression card.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:49 am

Good to hear you got the card working. How well does it perform? I have used accelerator cards in ZIF slots and in the processor card slots, but I have never installed an accelerator in a PDS slot or in the cache slot. And I have always been curious how well accelerator cards work, when the computers original processor remains installed.

For sometime I used a PowerMac 5500 and thought about getting an upgrade card for it, yet I was always leery about what benefits there would be and what drawbacks I might encounter.

bill

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:00 pm

wove wrote:

Good to hear you got the card working. How well does it perform? I have used accelerator cards in ZIF slots and in the processor card slots, but I have never installed an accelerator in a PDS slot or in the cache slot. And I have always been curious how well accelerator cards work, when the computers original processor remains installed.

For sometime I used a PowerMac 5500 and thought about getting an upgrade card for it, yet I was always leery about what benefits there would be and what drawbacks I might encounter.

bill

Hey Bill,

I have a 400 MHz G3 in a 7100. RAM is upgraded and there is a 50 Gb SCSI drive.

I originally used this as my heavy duty graphics machine up until 1998 in its stock configuration. I remmber using Photoshop and watching the screen redraw slowly one line at a time.

Now I use it and the speed is faster by an order of magnitude. Too bad it is just for recreation now.

You don't get the same bang for the buck as in a zif machine as other parts of the architecture are old, but it is entirely serviceable.

It was far cheaper , for my uses, to accelerate the 7100 and keep the old software than to purchase new software for my newer machines. I am sitting there with both a SCSI scanner and an ADB drawing tablet plus a couple of different versions of Photoshop and a pile of plug ins, Canvas, Ray Dream Designer, KPT Bryce, Kye's Power Tools and from this site Corel Suite and so on.

I am running both the PDS video card and the original on board video. To get a decent screen size and millions of colours I would need a nubus video card. To use the PDS Video, I have both the accelerator and the video pass through ribbon.

I don't use it all that often but I get a real charge out of it every time It do. I have it set up with several partitions running several different operating systems to go with the requirements of particular graphics programs.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.