Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Lots of New Forum Features! (Page 2 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2
  dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:18 am

wdurden wrote:

This is a super addition, the only thing is, I am not seeing it ? Where is it? I am sorry, I must be blind ....

Really looking forward to the feature!

It's right on the forum index page. In a grey box...

wdurden (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:00 am

Okay, now I see what you mean. That is useful and nice, however, let me describe for you what would be the most helpful change from my standpoint. I would love to log in and be able to view all new posts since I last logged out. That way I could quickly visit each morning as part of a daily routine and see all the messages since I last was here... That would get me dropping by almost every day. It makes it quick without the effort of having to search forum topic by topic etc. As it is now, a search with just the wildcard character over the last day or last 7 days doesn't return anything. For my workaround I try a search with a common word like "the" and feel confident I hit most of the new posts, but...

I know it's not like you have nothing to do now Smile And don't misunderstand, this is a FANTASTIC place for old mac fans. Just hoping to communicate the desire a little more clearly!

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:11 am

wdurden wrote:

Okay, now I see what you mean. That is useful and nice, however, let me describe for you what would be the most helpful change from my standpoint. I would love to log in and be able to view all new posts since I last logged out.

I'm not sure how what you're seeking differs from the post icons, which are dimmed until a new post is made, and then they become white.

In the picture below, the icons indicate that the Operating System and Third Party Software folders have threads with new posts in them, while Apple Software does not.

Image Attachment

I click on Operating System, and am presented with the situation depicted below, in which the top three topics have new posts in them, but the fourth one does not. Now, if I go into one of these topics with new posts, read the new posts, and then come back to this page, it's icon will go back to being dimmed.

Image Attachment

If you have hundreds of unread topics that you don't want to read but just want to get rid of, you can click "Mark All Topics Read" at the bottom-right of every folder page.

wdurden (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:44 pm

Thanks, I didn't realize the information in the icons. Duh..., sorry for the trouble you had to go to to point it out. About the only other forums I frequent are more textual and I was just particularly used to the option from my purebasic forum use where there was a link to click that then presented the new posts since last logout.

I was wondering a bit how you were following things so ably, I wondered if you were subscribed to all the topics are what. LOL Anyway, I can't emphasize enough how much I like what you have done already. The mac classic size, color schemes, etc. hit the sweet spot for me. Responsive without bloat. This site keeps a candle alive!

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:35 pm

The best forum feature is how fast it is.

p-amadeus (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:43 pm

I like, however I sorely miss the last post date showing up for each section of the forum. Even if it was just a simple date without a time it would be nice to keep that feature as the "recent topics" doesn't really replace it well.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.