Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: to revive a thread... uh-oh :-) (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  _dave (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:59 pm

on the subject of issue by Bandit

why not revive the edit feature with an addendum.

apply a few additional- oh God here it comes--- - Rules. i hate rules even if they are good ones and necessary. &^%$ rules already yaknow. as you were...

now then; many fast thinkers and knowers of all do not type accurately, the little picture being subjucate. that's why we have secretarys <- ain't that a hoot. HooT HooT.

you make mention of the need for honor (also formerally refered to as being adult) and upon an event in question
dispatch a warning
dispatch an ultimatem
dispatch a boot (1)

(1) this effort should incorporate terms like those of Aristotle's, "Theories Of Temporal Contingencies." ya know - a time and place for everything. large smile. Cheshire smile. see i told ya we ned secretarie's.

addition of html or css coding could also be a groove, unless or until it causes code bloating and fora constipation or there again; lack of Honor. this is a forum so can we talk here?!

did i mention i hate rules. lowenbraus @33 for all. dam. can't even do a degree character.a unless this works.

phpBB here i come. at a glance this actually looks like a slim (freeware) version of WebCrossings.

_dave (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:03 pm

poll this; how many of us discussing System 7 are here on machines running 7.x.x

Wink

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:01 am

_Dave wrote:

why not revive the edit feature

Back in 2006 there was an issue with two of the leading contributors deciding to "leave" the forum - by editing all their posts to be blank. It happened to fast for me to catch. Thats when I decided that editing was a bad idea for regular users. One of those members has since returned, the other is still banned.

When creating a post, the "Preview" button really helps a lot.

_Dave wrote:

with an addendum.

That is on the list of things to do, rest assured.

_Dave wrote:

apply a few additional- oh God here it comes--- - Rules. i hate rules even if they are good ones and necessary. &^%$ rules already yaknow. as you were...

phpBB does not keep track of edits so it makes it difficult to know who edited what how.

_Dave wrote:

you make mention of the need for honor (also formerally refered to as being adult) and upon an event in question
dispatch a warning
dispatch an ultimatem
dispatch a boot (1)

What new rules or changes would you make to the current rules thread?

http://forums.system7today.com/viewtopic.php?t=120

_Dave wrote:

addition of html

That would be acceptable for certain tags, bold, italic, and underline, but as of now it doesn't work correctly, and I'm not in a rush to do it.

_Dave wrote:

or css coding

That will never happen. This strives to maintain compatibility with Netscape 4.8 and CSS turned off, so that it can be accessed from System 7.

_Dave wrote:

phpBB here i come. at a glance this actually looks like a slim (freeware) version of WebCrossings.

It is phpBB, but a heavily modified phpBB, a lot by my own, undocumented design. If you can figure out addendums or the html problem feel free.

_Dave wrote:

poll this; how many of us discussing System 7 are here on machines running 7.x.x

Hmm well we have a poll of how many users actually have System 7:

http://forums.system7today.com/viewtopic.php?t=4

As far as how many users come here on System 7? Well, this one does, and thats enough to guide the design of the site!

_dave (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:40 am

good morning Dan.

thanks for the detailed reply - much apppreciated. being new i gotta explore and this thread was good. what with only 2 of many members avoiding parameters (didn't wanna say rules again) could you reconsider please?

i think i'll go back to phpBB's site and look it over in more depth.

going to read the polls you mentioned too and going to come here later on my Q660 but, with no firewall i don't drive it on the highway much these days. ripping dialup connection though.

i find your site peppy (and well done, easy on the eyes) on my blue & white

serioulsy. nice place ya got here.

p-amadeus (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:40 pm

I have an idea in respect to editing, though I'm not sure it's possible to set up the forums as such...would it be possible to enable editing but only enable it for a certain period of time after the post is originally made.....like a week or something? So if you screw up you can fix it or if you forget something you can add to it, but after a week from the original post date it becomes locked down permanently... If it is possible to implement something like this I feel it would strike a good balance between not having any editing and having all out unlimited editing while preventing people who all out "leave" the forum from destroying all their old posts. I'm not too crazy about only addendums because if I mistype something it's not as easy to clarify with an addendum than with an all-out edit.
Just my 2 cents Very Happy

Bandit (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:28 pm

My 2 cents, though it may be worth less than that is that legislating behavior never works. If 16 year old girls want to have sex, they are gonna, you can make it illegal but that is unlikely to change anything in the desired direction. Convincing the populous of 16 year old girls that it is a bad idea to put out is dramatically more daunting of a task but at its worst it is going to be at least as effective as any law.

My point? The relevance?

Creating an atmosphere where people don't misuse editing, no matter how abstract the required action to accomplish such, will be dramatically more effective than outlining rules and policies.

Just a historical observation of the world.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.