Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: to revive a thread... uh-oh :-) (Page 2 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2
  Minimalist (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:42 pm

Bandit wrote:

My 2 cents, though it may be worth less than that is that legislating behavior never works. If 16 year old girls want to have sex, they are gonna, you can make it illegal but that is unlikely to change anything in the desired direction. Convincing the populous of 16 year old girls that it is a bad idea to put out is dramatically more daunting of a task but at its worst it is going to be at least as effective as any law.

You couldn't come up with a better example? It's kind of strange that the first thing that would come to your mind when discussing "breaking rules", is sex with 16 year old girls. Anyway... To each their own.

Quote:

Creating an atmosphere where people don't misuse editing, no matter how abstract the required action to accomplish such, will be dramatically more effective than outlining rules and policies.

I hate using preview myself. I'm the type that likes to hit submit and use the edit feature to correct any significant errors. It's quicker than using the preview feature, because the majority of the time the errors are so small that it's not worth the effort of correcting. So using preview is extra work that usually isn't necessary.

As for misusing the edit feature, I'm of the opinion that people should be able to delete anything that is their own creation. I'm a firm believer in the concept of "I built it, I'll destroy it."

wove (Profile)

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:46 pm

The discussion is covering all things possible within the realm, while the specifics are more related to the feature set that is available.

Matters relating to the proper use of editing is moot in that there is no editing feature available. No training is needed for the non existant feature and no rules are necessary for its proper use, because the feature does not exist.

This is really no different from any software a person might use, be it web based or based locally on the users machine. The scope of an application is determined by the developer.

I suppose that arguments can be made an unfairness exists because some users, namely moderators, can edit and other users cannot. Yet multi tiered levels of privilidges abound in the world of computers. In shareware those that have paid the shareware fee can do more than those who have not. Network administraters can do much more that normal users can. Cell phones are a prime example of tools containing features that remained locked for a variety of reasons.

The features availble in the forums are sufficient to allow for the easy and abundant exchange of information, which is the objective.

bill

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:53 pm

Minimalist wrote:

As for misusing the edit feature, I'm of the opinion that people should be able to delete anything that is their own creation. I'm a firm believer in the concept of "I built it, I'll destroy it."

The problem wasn't people deleting their posts, per se, but rather "clearing" them or replacing their previous posts with nonsense. Whole threads were turned into pages and pages of nothing or nonsense.

I understand the opinion that many have - that we should have editing. Sadly, I can assure you it isn't going to happen.

When you send posts to email lists, such as the LEM lists, you cannot edit them or take them back in any way. Think of System 7 Today as being similar to an email list in this regard. The LEM lists are even stricter when it comes to very specific formatting and mannerisms - hence the need for "List Nannies."

I know when I travel about the forum, if I find problems, such as mistyped BBCode or gross spelling errors, I'll fix it. Other moderators should too.

Minimalist (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:18 pm

I like the way the delete function works in many online forums. Essentially, you are free to delete or "clear" your post till your heart's content until someone replies to it. If this could be implemented here, that would be great.

If you take it a step further an apply the same principle to the edit feature, it would give users ample opportunity to create, correct, or remove. As long as no one has replied to your post, you can do whatever you want with it. Once someone does reply to it, you lose the ability to delete or edit as a means of preserving congruity and context.

That would be a nice way to implement the "edit" feature here.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:03 am

Minimalist wrote:

I like the way the delete function works in many online forums. Essentially, you are free to delete or "clear" your post till your heart's content until someone replies to it. If this could be implemented here, that would be great.

If you take it a step further an apply the same principle to the edit feature, it would give users ample opportunity to create, correct, or remove. As long as no one has replied to your post, you can do whatever you want with it. Once someone does reply to it, you lose the ability to delete or edit as a means of preserving congruity and context.

That would be a nice way to implement the "edit" feature here.

I can agree to that, but that requires programming. Find the appropriate phpBB 2.x modifications and I'll try to implement them.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.