Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: keeping old software (Page 1 of 1)
  madmann (Profile)
  256 MB

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:36 pm

Before system 7 today I never gave much thought to preserving old software. What I am mainly referring to is that software that came out on 3.5 floppies. until now once it was loaded on the hd I forgot about it. So i have gone back and created cd of the floppies with a text file of the serial number. some of my floppies are dead in this case I have saved the files and the preference files, control, extensions.

Over the next several months i hope to burn cds of all my original install disks of my system 7 apps.

if you can not find your sn you can get info on that app and it should be in the get info box.

it is also stored in the preference file

This is something to think about.

please add any thoughts on this important issue

wall (Profile)
  256 MB

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:49 am

Copying floppies to cd's is a sound advice. For saving/protecting all s/n's and much more I use Web Confidential 2.2 (A shareware worth its price).

A thing I learned the hard way, is to keep track of all your downloaded free/share/demoware. Nowadays I give a folder the name of the site I have done the downloads from, and all those folders are again in a special downloads folder.

After awhile it will become impossible to remember whats from where, if one do not keep records.

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:55 pm

It's something I learned long ago when dealing with peecees. Once I got a decent burner I went and created cd's and images stored on an external drive. I use them alot for many things. It's great to have old software especially if it's something that has been used for a long time.

_dave (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:03 am

when you copy some installation software to cd from the original disk; that being floppy or even another cd, the applescript written to install from integral directory may not coopreate on the new disc.

in other words; if you copy all of your system 7 install floppies discs to cd, the install script , upon launch will look for each tome on the original floppie's directory.

so, installation will be; install tome-1/installdisc-1; install tome/2/install disc-2, install tome-3/instal disc-3

and so on...

you can modify the script with resedit or better applescript.

don't count on the original script to perform as intended. - test it first. you may have to modify and burn another install cd.

hint; to restore any application, simply, tuck the preferences file (once established - this will most often contain registration #) into the folder holding that app in the you create in a "temporary partition" first. preview all before burn...

then upon installation, simply move the prefs file to the prefs folder.

how bout that...

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.