Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Need a Macintosh Programmer (Page 2 of 6)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  _dave (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:45 pm

but have you guys tried SuperRes?

_dave (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:13 am

it's not the resolution in question but the refresh rate that will definately be harmful to your monitor - Especially if it's a crt!

it will eat the power supply and cascade to the tube in what's known as "avalanche" - mini avalanche an in this case.

crt = cathode ray tube, like those in your telee.

this is also a major factor that ate the early iMacs. the power supply ran inherently too hot distroying two caps in the video and main power supplies. these are integral to the main and daughter boards in those machines. i burried my fall 99 iMac DV400 (Rev D) last November - Thanksgiving Morning.

this after finding the replacement 400 WV,470mf caps (capicators) for sale and those with shipping costing more than i could have sold the thing at yard sale at that point. sad. terribly sad. and i have stock in apple.

so; caution if you use third party software like, monitor expander beware that as you "expand" even the viewable area the power supply and therefore crt are then in an overdrive mode and this will dramatically shorten their respective lifespans.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:49 am

_dave wrote:

but have you guys tried SuperRes?

Yes. Not only does it not work, it also requires a certain evil system extension.

_dave wrote:

it's not the resolution in question but the refresh rate that will definately be harmful to your monitor - Especially if it's a crt!

Well in the end it's the user's responsibility to know what the correct resolution and refresh rate is. For example, I knew that the appropriate resolution and refresh rate for my ViewSonic VG2230wm was 1680 x 1050 and 60hz respectively.

This is an unsupported "hacking" utility, afterall.

_dave (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:22 pm

not those evil system extensions again? they're not all evil guys...

but yeah, i have a viewsonic E651 on my b&w. very decent monitors.

have you tried virtual desktop? i run 9 on my Q660 a/v and 3 on my b&w

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:40 pm

_dave wrote:

they're not all evil guys...

No... just Appearance Manager.

rlawson (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:49 pm

Ok, I'm taking a crack at this. I've got the code compiling and am now taking out the registration stuff. Then gotta figure out how to add the new resolutions cause the current code makes a call to the display manager for a list of supported resolutions. There's very little docs for low level display manager calls so I'm deciphering and crashing a lot as I go (pointers are fun !). And wow, having programmed in Unix for so long - the classic mac is like the wild west - wanna clobber some system memory - sure go right ahead.

I'll post some more progress as I get further.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.