Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Some Exciting FireWire Stuff (Page 3 of 4)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:18 pm

JoAT wrote:

Congrats Dan, hopefully the hard drive issue works its way out. Have you considered a disc driver issue? I assume that you formatted the drive on a newer mac...

Yes, but that cannot be for several reasons:

1. I've never had a problem getting 7.6.1 to recognize, read, and write to HFS Standard disks formatted in Mac OS X. I don't see why it would start now.

2. Drive Setup doesn't see the disks, but I'm not sure if it would even see them under Mac OS 8.6. I'll have to do some more testing on that, possibly this weekend.

douglas (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:26 am

Congratulations on your progress Dan, I love this site!

Wouldn't it be cool if it was possible to get an original firewire iPod working under System 7.6 somehow...

Douglas

Smile

douglas (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:02 pm

I was just wondering if there was any progress on the firewire under 7.6 thing...sounds exciting!!

Douglas

Smile

cr2032 (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:20 am

Congratulation Dan !!
Will you consider to hunt down the USB issue in system 7 in the near future ? Not sure if it is mission impossible if the firewire can be done Smile

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:34 pm

cr2032 wrote:

Will you consider to hunt down the USB issue in system 7 in the near future ? Not sure if it is mission impossible if the firewire can be done Smile

USB and FireWire share nothing in common. I'm confident enough that USB will not work under System 7 that I wouldn't bother trying anything with it.

Xanathus (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:13 pm

When I bought my FantomDrives 120GB FireWire drive a while back, it came packaged with a limited version of Hard Disk SpeedTools. HDST installed some extensions in my System Folder (Mac OS 9.1 at the time) to load FireWire drives, USB drives and MO Cartridges. Perhaps that extension would work in System 7.

This reminds me of SCSI cards of yesteryear requiring SCSI Probe (or some similar utility from ATTO, MicroNet, etc) to mount disks connected to the card. Without that utility, the Mac would never even try loading the disk driver from the hard drive. Perhaps this is similar.

Also, I want to note that the Apple System Profiler in Mac OS 9 would always show me the USB cards I had installed, but it never shows FireWire cards or the devices attached to FW. At least this was the case on my 8500, 9500, and 9600, which don't have USB or FW built-in. Macs with built-in FW seems to always "see" FW in ASP. Go figure. I never had problems using FW; it was just annoying that ASP wouldn't acknowledge its existence.

USB cards are supposed to be OHCI-compliant, though some older ones are not. I wonder if FireWire has something similar. If your Apple FireWire card is standards-compliant, then any other standards-compliant card should work. If the Apple card is proprietary, then that might be why the 2.3.3 drivers break it. (That might also be why it only works with DV -- a portion of the 1394 spec. More likely, though, is that v 2.3.3 is binded to some other part of OS 8.6 behind the scenes.

Anyhow... Good luck with this. I find it fascinating.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.