Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Kanga isn't working as of now (Page 1 of 1)
  dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:26 am

Well I have a Kanga now, and tried many various means to get it to boot 7.6.1...

Firstly, I used Wish I Were (which I've posted here) to make the 7.6.1 installer thin its running on an 8500 (a PCI Power Mac) and did a universal install. Then I used ResEdit to change some gestalt values in the System file, essentially changing the value for the 3400c, which is 306 (hex value 0132) to the Kangas, which is 319 (hex value 0139). This should have made the Mac OS accept the Kanga's hard-wried gestalt value of 319 as "ok, this is a 3400c" But it didn't work as I planned.

Then I did an install on a 3400c, did the same ResEdit hack, and transferred the hard drive over to a Kanga. Still didn't work. That hard drive also does not boot the 3400c when placed back in that machine, because the System doesn't know what a 3400c is anymore - it's looking for a Kanga gestalt value.

So now I'm wondering how else the System might be checking to know that my Kanga is only pretending to be a 3400c. It stops really early in the boot process. It gives a happy Mac icon, but then says this system cannot be used to startup this computer, please install one that can, or something to that effect.

As a side note, I've posted Super ResEdit here, which was really hard to find but I finally did find it. It's like normal ResEdit, but with some enhancements.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:52 am

I would continue to work with installing the system on another machine and moving the drive over. The Kanga has a SCSI port and it might be easiest to work with a drive in an external closure.

A system that is setup and working with a 1400 with a g3 upgrade would have support for the g3 is that is causing the problem. One of the differences between the 603 processor and the G3 is that the G3 has to have speculative processing on while the 603 does not support speculative processing. The software that comes with old Powerlogic processor upgrades had controls for turning speculative processing on and off.

The 3500 differs from the 3400 in much the same way that the Mach V 8600/9600s differ from the earlier 8600/9600s. You might use an installer for those as a starting point, when making resedits. To run 7.6.1 on a MachV 8600 you need to use the disks that came with the machine. It will not install from a universal 7.6.1 installer (at least that is the case on my 8600.

Good luck

bill

wall (Profile)
  256 MB

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:10 pm

Keep it up, Dan! This is interesting.

"To boldly go where no man have gone before"

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.