Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: PB 1400 questions (Page 1 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:49 am

I have several PB 1400's. I am going to ugrade them all as I find parts.

The one I am using regularly has 64 MB memory, 333 Sonnet G3 upgrade, 30 GB Hard drive, 2 GB Compact Flash, Orinoco driven Lucent Technologies card (Silver).

This machine sits in my kitchen and gets used for general web surfing and email. I have to get a new battery or get this one rebuilt and then it is also a cafe cruiser.

Currently it is running 9.0.4 on the HD and 8.6 on the Compact Flash. I also want to try 7.6.1.

As far as I can see this machine has the nicest keyboard of any machine I have used. So I do want to get the most out of it.

Several questions:

1. SierraRedd mentioned a System Picker utility. I have tried to find this to download it and any links I can find seem dead. Does anyone have a source for this? Then I can have all three systems on at once and see what can be done with each.

2. Current wireless card software is ORiNOCO 7.2 from Agere Systems. Will this run on OS 7.6.1?

3. Has anyone experimented with different types of memory cards through to PCMCIA bus to see the speed differences? I am seeing the price of this type of memory come way down but it would be nice to know speed differences.

4. I am currently web surfing with a combination of browsers:

WamCom Mozilla
iCab 3.0.3
IE 5.1
Opera 6

The overall best performance is WamCom Mozilla. It is pokey but dependable. It's only problem seems to be rendering some fixed width pages in which the left side is cut off.

iCab reders well, but turning off Java makes it run better while at the same time limiting its functions.

IE 5.1 keeps giving Java errors and does not render as well, but it is quick.

I am still playing with Opera. So far I am pleased.

Will any of these run in 7.6.1?

5. Streaming Media

I cannot get this machine to stream music well. I cannot get it to play YouTube. It will actually start up, but then it freezes.

Has anyone had any luck with this?

Lots of questions.

Dave

wove (Profile)

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:24 am

System Picker is part of the InfoMac Archive.
< ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mac/sysutil// >

Of all the browsers you list only Explorer 5.1 will run on System 7.6.

I do not have a PB 1400 so I have no definitive answers to questions specific to the that machine.

bill

128 MB

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:09 am

wove wrote:

System Picker is part of the InfoMac Archive.
< ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mac/sysutil// >

Of all the browsers you list only Explorer 5.1 will run on System 7.6.

bill

Thanks for that. I have downloaded it. Now I can play.

madmann (Profile)
  256 MB

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:45 pm

system picker works good between 7.6.1 and 8.x but i think their is a problem with using it for 9.X. Os 9 has the built in function of switching os. Wove would know more about this than i.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:28 pm

madmann wrote:

Wove would know more about this than i.

That is probably not an accurate statement. I typically just change systems using the brute force method. I create a folder "unused system" place the System Folder I do not wish to boot from inside the folder. Then I remove the Finder from that system folder, which "unblesses" the folder. At that point I am free to pick another System Folder to boot from.

The Startup Disk Control Panel from OS 9 works fine for picking a startup folder, as long as the System Folders reside on different volumes. I have not done any experimentation to see how early an OS can use the OS 9 control panel.

If you keep different systems on different hard drives and the hard drives are SCSI hard drives, it is possible to select which hard drive to boot from using keyboard short cuts at startup. ( cmd-opt-shift-delete-#, where # represents the SCSI id of the drive you wish to start from)

bill

128 MB

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:03 pm

Since I first posted on this, I reformatted my hard drive to give 6 partiitions:

OS 7.6.1 2 Gb
OS 8.1 2 Gb
OS 8.6 2 Gb
OS 9.0.4 2 Gb
Virtual Memory 500 k
Data 20 Gb

Then I started installing systems and upgrading them. I have them all up and running except OS 8.1. I am finding that one to be particularly unstable. I may give up on that one and install and upgrade the orginal OS - 7.5 on that partition.

Almost all the "essential 7.6 upgrades" are applicable to all of these systems.

Speed doubler went into everything. The Speed doubler upgrade balked on OS 9.0.4. So I pulled the original Speed doubler extension out.

On OS 9.0.4 and OS 8.6 I used ORiNOCO 7 for wireless networking. I used WaveLan 6 on 7.6. I like ORiNOCO much better. WaveLan is not as clear and seems finicky to set up. soemtimes it works and sometimes it does not. I am using a Lucent silver card for this.

For web browsers:

OS 9.0.4 and 8.6 have:
WamCom Mozilla
Opera 6
iCab 3
IE 5

OS 7.6 has:
iCab 2
IE 5
Opera 5
Netscape 4.8 has given me some grief. But I think I am doing something stupid.

Someone commented on assigning more ram to this before running - do it. It freezes up without it. I put 20 Mb. I then immediatley assigned more memory to all browsers before running them in 7.6

The best of all the browsers listed here is WAMCOM Mozilla. I think you need 8.6 for this one. It would be nice to find out what it is looking for and just put it into 7.6 if possible.

Interesting observation is iCab 2 seems to run better than iCab 3. I was using iCab 3 on other machines and it seemed to feeze alot more.

All versions are using Eudora for email. Version 5 for OS 9.0.4 and 8.6. Version 4.33 for OS 7.6.

A comment or 2 on Eudora:

Eudora 5 and Eudora 4 run almost identically.

Both allow you to leave mail on the server so if you decide that you want to get your mail from your system 7.6 or other classic machine, you can do it and then go to your main machine and it will come in there also.

Eudora 4.33 shows as an update if you download it from their site. What happens is, if you had actually paid for Eudora 4.x, it will update your paid version. Otherwise, it installs a new sponsered version. When Eudora was active this meant you had all the features, but had an advertisement pane on your screen. What you have now that they are not operating any more is a blank add pane on your screen.

If you subscribe to email list servers, Eudora has a unique feature ( as far as I am aware). You set up your filters so that your list mail goes to separate mail boxes as in other email clients. But unlike other clients, it brings up the boxes as separate windows when mail arrives and most important, it only brings up a box if there is new mail. This means on a list server, you can scan the subjects and decide if you want to read them. Not reading or marking read the current emails will not cause the mail box to open next time you download mail.

Eudora 4.33 runs very quickly on 7.6.

What I would like to do now is strip down the higher OS versions to speed them up.

7.6 is far and away the fastest operating system. For many things it feels faster than my G4 1.5 GHz PowerBook running 10.4. The system appearance is quite retro.

I have not had the chance to load a bunch of applications on and give it a go. I have to decide if Iwant to strip out the 8.1 partition and reinstall again from another source or go to my original install disks and put on 7.5.

A note on the Sonnet extension. I tried downloading from here and I got a bad download ie it wouldnot expand properly with stuffit expander 5.5. Then I went to the Sonnet site and downloaded again. It also would not expand. So the fault is in the original file. It may be it is looking for a more recent version of Stuffit Expander. I have not had a chance to move it over to another machine and try again.

Anyway, any thoughts on stripping down the higher systems or getting 7.6 to do WamCom greatly appreciated.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.