Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: PB 1400 questions (Page 3 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:48 am

Per recommendations, I turned Appearance Manager Off.

In this configuration Eudora 4.33 won't work.

I went and got Eudora Light 3.1.3 and tried it. It does work. It allows you to leave mail on the server but it does not allow you to selectively remove it. This is not as good as 4.33 where I could make sure the spam never touched my main machine.

It was interesting to configure but carefully reading the instructions and very literally following them, it configured up.

The one that got me was having to put a user name @ the POP account. In the other version it was just the POP account.

No nice buttons with this one, but it does nave filters and no advertisement pane.

Hope this helps someone tryhing for Appearance Manager Offr and Eudora as an email client.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:19 pm

If a program requires Appearance, there is no way to get it to work without Appearance. Likewise, if a program requires Carbon Lib (WamCom, Netscape 7.2) there is no way to get it running under System 7 at all, at least not that I know of, and I doubt there is some way that I don't know of.

Email and Web browsing are still quite unsatisfactory under System 7. The best classic browser IMHO is Netscape 7.2. WamCom is slower and older and not quite as polished as NS 7.2.

With the open source availability of both Mozilla, Web Kit, and KHTML code, you'd think somebody somewhere would build a modern browser for Mac OS 7, 8 and 9. Even if it lacked a lot of features of OS X and Windows browsers, just so long as it displayed pages quickly and accurately I would be satisfied.

As a side note, the only good email client under System 7 that works without Appearance is that built into Netscape 4.8, which is also probably the best overall System 7 browser.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.