Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: PB 1400 questions (Page 2 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  wove (Profile)

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:46 pm

That is a nice informative post, Lichen Software, full of useful information. You are certainly digging into your 1400. I believe that the post was submitted twice, and I deleted the second instance.

Thanks again for the informative post.

bill

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:44 am

wove wrote:

I believe that the post was submitted twice, and I deleted the second instance.

Sorry about that. I think I timed out while writing the post, so when I submitted it took me to the login. I figured that I had lost the post. It had happened to me once, so I had copied it first this time Smile

Dave

128 MB

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:17 pm

I have been playing with browsers today and did a ClarisWorks install.

First observation: Internet Explorer 5 was almost unusable on my Beige G3, 9.0.4, due to a multitude of Java Errors. I am not getting any on this PB1400 on OS 7.6.1. It is probably due to the Java Runtime update. I will run this update on the beige G3 and see what happens.

I got Netscape to work turning off frames. It is an interesting browsing experience. If I stay this retro, I will have to get a machine shop and turn this PB 1400 into a SteamPunk version of the machine. It would just be too perfect. Actually, totally perfect would be to be able to go to YouTube and watch Bob Ross do one of his paintings on a SteamPunk PB 1400 running OS 7.6.1 - But I do not think that thisone will happen.

iCab and Opera .... So far hit and miss. I have not turned frames off on these yet. I am still trying to keep some appearances. iCab in particular will freeze up the machine. Now, I am using the free version. I hear that the paid version is several iterations better.

I installed ClarisWorks 5 on all of the partitions. It starts up great on 7.6.1. If you have an original Beige G3 install disk, you can dig around and find the Dataviz translators. I installed them and ClarisWorks recognized them all.

Note on Dataviz - after you do a multiple install, you must reboot. When you reboot, it then goes and rebuilds the desktops on every partition that it was installed on.

I have been using Eudora 4.33 all day checking email. It has been a stalwart performer all the way through.

That's all for now.

More as I go along here.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:37 pm

Do realize that you're not going to get a modern browsing experience at all with Mac OS 7.6.1, no matter what browsers or combinations of add-ons you install.

Thats why System 7 Today recommends Netscape 4.8 - it can be configured to run the fastest, give you the least amount of annoying errors and crashes, and also display text and graphics in the most readable fashion.

You just have to learn to like old fashioned experience.

128 MB

Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:36 am

dpaanlka wrote:

Do realize that you're not going to get a modern browsing experience at all with Mac OS 7.6.1, no matter what browsers or combinations of add-ons you install.

Thats why System 7 Today recommends Netscape 4.8 - it can be configured to run the fastest, give you the least amount of annoying errors and crashes, and also display text and graphics in the most readable fashion.

You just have to learn to like old fashioned experience.

LOL ... My favourite browser at one time as MacWeb.

7.6 is so much faster that I want to do as much as possible on it. There are however a set of sites that I do go to on a regular basis. Gradually I am getting things together so that this can be done.

What you are getting is sort of blow by blow experience. It may help others trying to do the same thing ... Not complaining in any way shape or form. I am having a great time. Smile

128 MB

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:47 pm

I have been playing awhile on my PB 1400 since my last post. I get to use this machine each morning before anyone else gets up.

You can find out how useful something is by how often you find yourself using it.

I have OS's
running.

I find myself using 7.6.1 all the time.

9 is far too slow.

8.6 I will use if I have to do something I cannot do on 7.6.1.

8.1 is unstable.

My uses right now are web surfing and email.

Email with Eudora 4.33 is lightning fast and has all the features I want - including leaving mail on the server so I can get it later on my main machine.

Web browsing has been done using:

IE 5
Netscape 4.8
iCab 2
Opera 5

I am not really imaginative when browsing. I pretty much go to the same places every day:

EBay
Digg.com
Reddit
BoingBoing
FMForums.com
EhMac.ca
Craigslist
Environment Canada Weather
TreeHugger
Joy of Tech
System7Today

The best overall experience has been with IE5 with style sheets turned off. It handles every site with the exception of Joy of Tech.

Netscape is faster, again with style sheets turned off. It will do Joy of Tech. It does BoingBoing but it is an amazing dog's breakfast. Netscape fails on many of the graphics.

iCab, I am just crashing. I do not know what I am doing wrong there.

Opera is really frustrating. If you take Opera 5 and go to Digg.com, it quickly renders out the site and it looks like youa re home free. Then go to click any of the links and they are dead. I would really like any insight into this.

From here I will do some FileMaker things. I have a few applications that I keep current in both the 5-6 and the 7-9 families of the application.

5.0 will run on 7.6. I will bind up some 5-6 family applications using FileMaker 5.0 and see how they run on 7.6

I also played with Quick Time player. Alas, it would appear that the current Quick Time sites have left 7.6 behind - even Apple.

If anyone has some retro Quick Time sites to go to, I would love to go there or a selection of radio stations etc.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.