Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: PB1400 OS761 wireless with iMac G3 OS922 (Page 1 of 1)
  cr2032 (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:13 am

A friend of mine has iMac G3 OS922 that quite some many files need to copy to my PB1400 (using Wavelan silver OS761). But the iMac using LAN by RJ45 only and without any router.

Anyone has experienced that by borrowing one more wireless lan card to insert into the iMac and then communicated by wireless without router ? i.e. can 2 Mac communicate by 2 wireless lan cards without wireless router ?

I know if I buy a wireless router, it will be ok to transfer the files between the iMac & PB1400. To just transfer such 1.xGB files size and buying the router seems to be not justified.

Any suggestion ? thanks very much.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:26 am

It is possible to create an adhoc network between 2 computers with wireless cards. I imagine is depends to some measure on the software. Airport allows for that even in OS 9 as far as I remember. I am not sure what capabilities the WavLan cards have.

bill

p-amadeus (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:16 am

wouldn't it just be easiest/fastest to burn the files onto a couple CD's and transfer it that way? Transferring 1+ GB over wireless will take ages.

cr2032 (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:17 am

Thanks Bill ! the key word adhoc helps a lot on google search. There are quite many articles about wireless and I need to study a bit on that further.
thanks a lot Smile

cr2032 (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:24 am

p-amadeus wrote:

wouldn't it just be easiest/fastest to burn the files onto a couple CD's and transfer it that way? Transferring 1+ GB over wireless will take ages.

I would like to try burning CD. However, the iMac CD drive is read only and is not a CD-RW. So, I have to use other method ... e.g. wireless direct link rather than sending files through internet.

Seems to be possible by searching "adhoc" in google Smile

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.