Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: PB1400 with Window Media Player 7.1 (Page 1 of 1)
  cr2032 (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:44 pm

My PB1400 running OS761 can finally receive the local radio station boardcast via internet Smile

I tried several ways :
1. the radio website only can use Window Media Player or Real Player.
2. I tried OS9 with Media Player 7.1 & Real Player 8 both OK.
3. I tried install Media Player 7.1 and Real Player 8 (and Real Player G2), all failed because it requires OS8.1 or up.
4. I tried to search Media Player 6.3 but not found in web. So can not try.
5. I tried to install Real Player 5, though successfully installed, it can not play the radio file.
6. I tried to copy the Media Player 7.1 from OS9 folder and the Plug-in to the Netscape 4.8 plug-in folder ... it works .... finally !!

The Media Player 7.1 also can play MP3 files, so I assume it works on 7.6.1 though it can not be installed directly.

Now, I check the control panels does not have appearance manager after installed Media Player 7.1. Does it mean it does not require Appearance Manager ? Or how can I know if particular software using Appearance Manager or not ?

Can anyone tell me how to check ? Many thanks.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:27 am

cr2032 wrote:

how can I know if particular software using Appearance Manager or not?

By making sure Appearance Manager is de-activated and testing the program.

You can tell when Appearance is activated by the Apple menu - it will be flat when Appearance manager disabled, and 3D-ish when it is - just as it is in Mac OS 8 and up (even if you have platinum turned off).

cr2032 (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:04 am

If I don't see the appearance manager extension in Extension Manager, can I assume it is not activated ?

I see the Window Media Player is 3-D looks but I don't see the extension manager in either apple menu nor Extension Manager...

thanks.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:22 pm

I don't think Windows Media player uses appearance. There are two parts to Appearance Manager - the extension and the control panel. I'm pretty sure that disabling the extension or deleting it will mean no Appearance, but I can't verify that at this time.

Again, the simple way to identify whether or not Appearance is installed is to look at the Apple Menu icon.

Below is the normal System 7 Apple Menu icon:

Image Attachment

Below is the System 7 Apple Menu icon with Appearance Manager installed.

Image Attachment

If your System 7 computer is showing the regular black and white interface but has that 3D Apple Menu icon, Appearance Manager is installed, despite the fact that it does not look like it anywhere else. All this means is "Use platinum system-wide" is unchecked in the Appearance Control Panel.

cr2032 (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:45 am

Yes, I see the logo is flat... so it means the Appearance Manager is not on. I didn't see it in Control Panel as well.

Now, I can listen to the local radio station with the PB1400 at OS761 Very Happy

Thanks.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.