Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Just got my PB 1400 (Page 1 of 1)
  Deni (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:26 am

I have a few questions:

I can't figure out how to get the ethernet working (it has an ethernet port). When I go into TCP/IP in OS 8 it says "the previously selected option ethernet is no longer available". I can't get appleshare to start in the chooser either.

And, whenever I plug in the computer, it always starts up immediately. How do I not have this happen? I want to plug it in, and then press the power key to start it up.

jjbomfim (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:38 am

The 1400 doesn't come standard with an ethernet port, so what you have on yours is an add-on card that plugs into the motherboard (unless it's a PCMCIA card, but I'm assuming it's not). As far as I know, this card is hard to come by on 1400s. My guess is that it doesn't need any software installation, but I could be wrong and it might be the case. If nobody here has experience with this setup, you could try google groups, but I think you should keep fiddling with all the networking options on the control panels to see if anything happens.

Devon (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:17 pm

yeah iam lucky and have a 1400 with a built in ethernet card, i have the shitty passive matrix screen ugghs at least it isn't the road apple 117 model with no cache but yeah the 1400 is a great computer you'll love it.

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:36 am

Devon wrote:

yeah iam lucky and have a 1400 with a built in ethernet card, i have the shitty passive matrix screen ugghs at least it isn't the road apple 117 model with no cache but yeah the 1400 is a great computer you'll love it.

Keep an eye out for a used accelerator for your machine. Sonnet is best in that it will actually reduce your power consumption. However, any of them will dramatically increase performance. Even the 117 machine ceases to be a road apple as soon as it has a cache.

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:41 pm

Deni wrote:

I have a few questions:

I can't figure out how to get the ethernet working (it has an ethernet port). When I go into TCP/IP in OS 8 it says "the previously selected option ethernet is no longer available". I can't get appleshare to start in the chooser either.

Is there a network cable plugged into it and a network availible? If memory serves me, everything needs to be plugged in and availible before the computer is turned on so durring boot it will detect it. Not everything is hot swappable, meaning if you plug it in it detects it. The 1400 needs to see it as it boots.

Deni wrote:

And, whenever I plug in the computer, it always starts up immediately. How do I not have this happen? I want to plug it in, and then press the power key to start it up.
This is a system pram battery issue. The batteries on your logic board are dead, to replace them you have to pull the whole case apart. If your big battery holds a charge it will work similarly. If it's dead it will start up automatically everytime you plug it in. A 3 of mine did that until I got a working battery.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.