Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: QuickDraw GX and Networking Problems (Page 1 of 1)
  dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:06 pm

I had mentioned to a few people before that I vaguely remember QuickDraw GX causing me severe network problems, as in I wasn't able to connect to any network using either AppleTalk or TCP/IP while QuickDraw GX was installed.

Today I'm verifying that is true, at least on a Quadra of mine. Networking broke instantly, however disabling the QuickDraw GX package in Extensions Manager brought everything back to normal.

beachycove (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:38 pm

I wonder if this could be due to having installed later, upgraded Open Transport software alongside QDGX. I have nil networking problems on a stock 7.5 install (which is the native soil of QDGX). I have it on a PowerBook 270c and a 280c, and have had no crashes either with Localtalk connections in "laptop mode" or with Ethertalk connections when a machine is in a DuoDock. I haven't gone the way of TCP/IP, as there is no need, so that I can't speak to.

If you're installing networking software that was intended to run on various revisions of System 8, however, by which time QDGX had long been abandoned, it ought to be anticipated that problems might emerge at some point.

The basic System 7.5 (i.e., the first edition, and not 7.5.x) is also perfectly stable on my 68k Duo hardware. I find it more convenient to keep around than 7.1, because there is no need in 7.5 for the convoluted 7.1-era system enablers (thus one set of disks is enough), and yet it is lean and almost as fast as 7.1, but with some nice Shareware-derived interface tweaks.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:39 pm

I'll sacrifice QuickDraw GX to enjoy the power and stability of 7.6.1.

beachycove (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:32 pm

Yes indeed, and I do so also on much of my old hardware.

As far as I can see, however, 7.6.1 has no additional power whatever to offer for basic wordprocessing and a little FileMaker 3 work on a simple 68030 machine - unless you want to push that same machine into negotiating more complex networking tasks and such as well, but at that point, you are driven to ask what you are pushing the limits of the hardware so far for. In my case, I do the more complex tasks with hardware other and more capable than my little 68030s, like a Quadra 605 that runs 7.6.1 and that is, thanks to your own advice on these pages (tugs forelock), able to link as readily with my iMac G5 running X.4 as it is with a localtalk-only Duo (courtesy of an energizer-bunny LC475 running the ancient Apple Internet Router software), or to manage a range of headless machines on my network via the Apple Network Assistant, or to Telnet to an A/UX box.

I've quite a large collection, which all continues to work nicely together, though I don't know what would happen if I tried an Intel Mac on the network with X.5. I haven't gone there yet, but I'm sure that, like the rest, one of them will find a niche here one day.

Keep up the good work! It is appreciated.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.