Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Interex Mac to VGA Monitor Adapter (Page 2 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  wove (Profile)

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:02 am

Pretty scarce I am sure. This link was the only reference to this type of device I found on a quick search.

LowEndMac says, "It's not generally known, but the SE supports color, although not on the internal display. It's only 3-bit color, but it supports output to the ImageWriter II printer's color ribbon, and as least one company made a SCSI video output device that let the SE display 3-bit color on an external color monitor."

SCSI is just a bus, it has hardware rather than software control good band width, and low latency. Perhaps not an ideal video port, but the necessary ingredients are present.

bill

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:07 am

The physical characteristics of a port does not a bus determine. For example, my FireWire hard drive's power port is exactly perfectly the shape and dimensions of an ADB port, cables for which plug in nicely. It is not an ADB port, it is just shaped like it.

SuperMac must have (confusingly) decided to use this type of port for their VGA stuff... surely to the dismay of regular Mac users who have plugged SCSI stuff into it. It would be incorrect to continue to call it SCSI.

Minimalist (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:58 pm

wove wrote:

LowEndMac says, "It's not generally known, but the SE supports color, although not on the internal display. It's only 3-bit color, but it supports output to the ImageWriter II printer's color ribbon, and as least one company made a SCSI video output device that let the SE display 3-bit color on an external color monitor."

3-bit? That gives you what? Eight whole colors?

Quote:

SCSI is just a bus, it has hardware rather than software control good band width, and low latency. Perhaps not an ideal video port, but the necessary ingredients are present.

I would tend to think that a SCSI port would not be ideal for video under any circumstance. I'm thinking of the software that would be required to produce and constantly refresh a video image on a SCSI bus. It would be a nighmare, I would think, if you were wanting to use the SCSI bus for anything else. As an analogy, it would be like having your Mac constantly writing to a hard drive. You probably are well aware of how crippled your Mac becomes when it is constantly accessing something on the SCSI bus. Definitely less than ideal.

Minimalist (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:06 pm

dpaanlka wrote:

SuperMac must have (confusingly) decided to use this type of port for their VGA stuff... surely to the dismay of regular Mac users who have plugged SCSI stuff into it. It would be incorrect to continue to call it SCSI.

That's possible. The parallel port on an old PC is physically identical to a 25 pin SCSI port on a Macintosh as well. Old Zip and Jazz drives that used the parallel port for connectivity wore labels that read: Warning! This is not a SCSI cable.

I wish the original poster would provide some kind of documentation for his monitor. Just a model number would probably go a long way in clearing up any confusion.

Minimalist (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:59 pm

I'm not even sure how you would put a video signal on the SCSI bus. The only thing I can think of, is to constantly dump the contents of video RAM to the SCSI bus. That would definitely require software. And the load it would put on your Macintosh would be considerable in my estimation.

Besides, you'd need a monitor that would be intelligent enough to do something with the data that was being piped over SCSI. So your monitor, in effect, would have to be a computer in and of itself. Sort of like a monitor with its own built-in video card -- for lack of a better word. So you'd essentially be replacing NuBus, PDS, PCI, or what have you, with the SCSI bus. It would work, but it would be awful.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:11 pm

Minimalist wrote:

I'm not even sure how you would put a video signal on the SCSI bus.

You wouldn't. The explanation is most certainly what I concluded in an earlier post.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.