Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: PB 1400 in SCSI Disk Mode (Page 1 of 1)
  JoAT (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:36 pm

Hi all, I'm about to receive via mail a Powerbook SCSI dock adapter that I'll be using to simplify installs on my Powerbook 1400. The information I read from Apple regarding set-up of the PB for SCSI disk mode notes that a terminator is required between the PB and the host Mac. However, none of the "how-to" articles written by people out on the 'net that I have seen have mentioned this as a requirement.

Anybody here have experience with the 1400 in SCSI disk mode?

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:15 am

The SCSI adapter itself should have a small switch to toggle between target disk mode and main computer mode. I have had a couple of these. Some had it and some did not. The second type were only good for hooking up SCSI peripherals.

You will know that you have it right if you have connected the two macs and you power up the 1400 and all you get is a SCSI symbol that blinks and migrates across the screen. Then your 1400 will show up on the host computer as a second hard drive.

JoAT (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:10 pm

Just thought I'd close this thread out for anyone that comes looking for the same information.

Looks like I do indeed need a pass-thru terminator to make the 1400 work in SCSI disk mode. The Powerbook will start-up properly (floating diamond displaying the SCSI ID), but the attached Mac can't seems to see it. I tried hooking it up to both a B&W G3 in Mac OS 9 and X (with a Orange Micro Grappler SCSI card) and to a Performa 6360 running 8.6.

I had never heard of this restriction before I saw it in the 1400 manual, but apparently if affects all Powerbooks that use IDE hard drives.

JoAT

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:45 pm

Hmmm ... I have done this dozens of times using the appropriate SCSI adapter and neve rhad a problem.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.