Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Powerbook Duo 270c and Ultradock 16sce (Page 1 of 1)
  bacadd (Profile)
  1 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:38 am

Hi,

I have a Powerbook Duo 270c and a Newer Ultradock 16sce. I just got this dock and used the EtherTech Installer available in this site. The installation goes smoothly, but when I restart it still doesn't recognize the dock. In the Control Panel when i choose the Ultradock Icon i get the following: "The control panel "ultradock" cannot be used with this Macintosh". I am using 7.6.1. Does anyone know what might be the problem? Thanks

The Doctor (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:12 am

You may need a power mac.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:52 am

I am not familiar with the Newer UltraDock specifically. Docks are generally simply port replicators and as such they generally just work. What aspects of the UltraDock are not working? And what aspects of the UltraDock need configuration.

Newer's UltraDock from what I recall was designed and developed by Radius and rebranded and sold by Newer. It is possible you might locate Radius software for the UltraDock and it might support your system.

The error message you mention might indeed be correct, but it might also be generated because of some extension conflict. You might try turning off all the extensions except the UltraDock extension and see if that enables it to work.

Control Panels can provide driver functions and configuration functions. It is quite possible for one function to be available even if the other function is not operational. In other words, any driver functions the ulradock might require might well be present, even if the control panel does not allow you to configure those functions. And in many cases the driver defaults are sufficient to allow the device to operate fully.

bill

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:26 am

I have a Newer Ethernet Microdock which I think uses the same or similar drivers. If I recall, you need to have the Apple Telecom stuff installed to use any sort of networking. My memory is a bit hazy on that, but you can give it a try. Go here http://main.system7today.com/helpcenter.html and download the Telecom package.

I could of course be completely wrong.

naryasece (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:00 pm

I have a few Ultradocks for my collection of PowerBook Duos. I've only gotten that message when I open the Ultradock Control Panel and the dock is not connected.

The Ultradock Control Panel lets you enable SCSI Disk mode, Disable the Duo's internal screen, adjust the horizontal positioning of the video output, disable sensing of an external display at startup, and provides hardware video zooming (it works like close view, but much faster).

The control panel is not necessary for basic functionality, although the accompanying Ethernet Control Panel is necessary for ethernet connections.

If the 16sce does not work (even without the control panel) it may be a hardware problem with the dock itself. It might be worth it to try the dock on another Duo if possible, or try another Ultradock if you can get your hands on one.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.