Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: PB 3400 questions (Page 1 of 1)
  DaveRhodes (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:00 pm

Just got a 3400 off ebay for a nice price, but now it's got me scratching my head over a few things:

1. I read from multiple sources that the thing would only run 7.6.1 if it had the Powerbook 3400 Enabler. It came with 8.6, but I was feeling dangerous and put in my 7.6.1 CD. It booted and installed just fine, and it's still running fine under 7.6.1 without the Enabler. The built-in ethernet works and everything. Am I heading for a crashy disaster somewhere down the road once I start stressing it, or is the Enabler not nearly as necessary as I thought?

2. Coming from a PB 1400 (it's what I'm using now), I can't really say I enjoy the 3400's less-solid-feeling keyboard. I have a spare 1400 keyboard, is it possible to transplant them? The keyboard seems like it'd fit into the case, but from what I've seen on ebay auctions, the 3400 keyboard seems to have two connections to the motherboard, whereas the 1400 only has one. Has anyone tried keyboard swapping?
There's also the possiblity that my 3400 just has a crappy keyboard, and the keyboard's supposed to feel just like a 1400's. Anyone else have experience with both?

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:45 pm

Here come some clear and blunt answers to all your questions!

DaveRhodes wrote:

1. I read from multiple sources that the thing would only run 7.6.1 if it had the Powerbook 3400 Enabler.

7.6 requires the enabler, not 7.6.1.

DaveRhodes wrote:

2. Coming from a PB 1400 (it's what I'm using now), I can't really say I enjoy the 3400's less-solid-feeling keyboard.

That's what everybody says.

DaveRhodes wrote:

I have a spare 1400 keyboard, is it possible to transplant them?

No.

DaveRhodes wrote:

There's also the possiblity that my 3400 just has a crappy keyboard, and the keyboard's supposed to feel just like a 1400's.

No, it really is that lousy. The 3400c shares essentially the same keyboard as the PowerBook 190, 520, 540, 5300, and later G3 Kanga. They all suck - the only thing worse is a PowerBook Duo keyboard. This is why Apple made such a marketing fuss over the Wallstreet's keyboard - it is more closely related to the 1400c than the 3400c/Kanga.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:09 pm

If you want to be certain, here is a 7.6 for 3400 restore CD for $12.99:

http://stores.channeladvisor.c.....%20OS%20CD

DaveRhodes (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:13 am

the 3400's been running fine the last week or so, so I don't think I need it, but I'd still like to get that disc for the 3400-specific extras, so thanks for the link!

I also got myself a spare 3400 keyboard. While it's not possible to put a 1400 keyboard inside a 3400, since they seem to be the exact same size and layout, (though I may have to double check that) it may be possible to put the top half (the keys and "springs") of a 1400 keyboard on top of the bottom half of a 3400 keyboard (the contacts) and make it work that way. Haven't worked up the confidence to try it yet, but if I have any success, I'll post about it.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.