Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: ATI Radeon 7000 (Page 2 of 4)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:41 pm

UPDATE:

I have contacted the person who made the original claim to have gotten the Radeon 7000 working under Mac OS 7, asking him for his help in getting this done right. Apparently he is an ex-employee of nVidia, and seems to really know what he is talking about.

He responded and is willing to help but will be very busy for the next few weeks. Expect further updates near the end of May!

bd1308 (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:14 pm

Sweet!

Keep us informed!

b

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:17 pm

IT WORKS!!!

Full QuickDraw 2D Acceleration!
Full QuickDraw 3D Acceleration!

Still working on OpenGL...

I can hardly believe my eyes!

Stay tuned for site updates obviously regarding this fantastic new discovery. I will be posting a custom installer for Mac OS 7 that will install the ATI Radeon drivers as well as OpenGL. This is so incredible!

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:00 pm

Here is a demo video:

http://download.system7today.com/radeon7000.mov

Should play fine in OS 7 with a mid to high end PoweMac.

The 3D image was generated with Graphing Calculator version 1.2 using the equation z=sin(ycosx)*sinr3

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:44 pm

OK Here is an update on the Radeon 7000 progress....

QuickDraw 2D and 3D accleration both work, which covers pretty much everything that is part of or runs on Mac OS 7 anyway. Both 2D and 3D acceleration are really really fast, as you could imagine. After all, the Radeon 7000 is powerful enough for OS X and quartz extreme. You can take my word for it, it tosses around Mac OS 7 like nobody's business.

OpenGL installs, and does not complain, however I am having trouble finding anything OpenGL-aware that will actually run under Mac OS 7 in the first place. If anybody knows of any way to test whether OpenGL is actually active under OS 7, please let me know. For now, I assume that it is, since the extensions load without complaining.

It seems like everything is working 100% and, with as little delay as possible, I will be posting a customized driver installer for Mac OS 7 that will include the Radeon 7000 drivers and the OpenGL libraries. Yay!

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:37 pm

Posted a Radeon 7000 installer, but it does not include OpenGL as I stated before. I have yet to find a single thing that works with Mac OS 7 and uses OpenGL, so I did not include it in the installer.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.