Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: WiFi Bridge Stuff (Page 1 of 1)
  sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:25 pm

I use a wifi ethernet bridge to hook up my ppc g4 mini to access the city wide wifi network. No I don't have airport, couldn't afford it at the time, a $200 addition. The problem I have is it just picks up the strongest signal. I can't choose which signal I want to access. Someone in the neighborhood has a wifi router, I think, that is sending out a very strong signal and overrides my ability to choose the city wifi signal. Is there an app for os X 10.4 that let's the ethernet work like airport and pick which signal I want to use?

Thanks for any help.

Niki.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:15 am

Perhaps the device is configured using a web interface. Have you tried pointing your browser to 192.168.0.0 or 192.168.0.1? Perhaps just going through some lower IP numbers.

Check in the Network portion of the preference panel and see if it is listing a "Gateway" IP address and if it does you might point your browser to that IP address.

bill

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:32 pm

It requires a windows machine for set up. I don't have one handy. I got rid of them when I began using the mini full time. It works great when I can get the signal from the city wifi and can login. But without being able to see a list of wifi networks and choosing the one I want to use, I'm at the mercy of the strongest signal. From the network panel in the system prefs, I can see the assigned ip address. I know which one I need to get. I called wifi tech support and the system has to assign all of the info to the computer, then you get a webpage to log into. Hmmm. I'm stumped.

Niki

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:39 pm

Take a look at Netgear routers. They are a whole lot cheaper, especially if you can find an older B router.

Also, they support Appletalk over WIFI. I have one and use it for everything. Wireless, this includes my PB G4 and my 3 PB 1400's using OS 7.6, 8.6 and 9. They are printing over appletalk wirtelessly to a LaserWRiter 4/600 PS - a local talk pritner. It is wired into the network using an old Asante ASantetalk - local talk-ethernet transducer.

If you can do it, I believe that I paid about $50.00, it would seem to be a much better solution.

HTH

Dave

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.