Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Extensions Disabled/Stuck Shift Key (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  BigBang (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:52 am

Hi, it been a while since I've had the PowerBook 3400C dusted off and I just can't get my head around why every time I start it, the Extensions are disabled.

I've sussed out that the Shift key is stuck as when i type I get all caps ... I can't double-click to open anything and I've searched high and low, through the prefs but there isn't anything that works ... I've tried google but I seem to have lost the touch there too.

I've just reinstalled OS 7.6 and want to update to OS 7.6.1 but I can't even select any links in the Netscape browser.

I know some may say toss it out but I don't want to. Every time I think it's given up the ghost it comes back to life...

I know there's got to be an answer to this somewhere, someone must know what I did to cause this as it was working perfectly last time I used it ...

wove (Profile)

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:51 am

To confirm the problem is with the onboard keyboard and/or trackpad and as a possible temporary fix, you can disconnect the built in keyboard and use an ADB keyboard and mouse. If the external keyboard (with the internal keyboard disconnected) and mouse allow you to use the 3400 as expected, then you can assume you need a new keyboard.

The keyboard for the 3400 is the same keyboard used on the PB 190, PB5300 and the PB3500 (Kanga).

bill

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:52 pm

Try launching KeyCaps and see if the Shift button is pressed down on the on-screen keyboard.

BigBang (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:13 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys Smile

If I can source an ADB keyboard/mouse, do they need to be Apple products? Will the mouse plug into the keyboard like my iMac, or otherwise?

The Shift key is blacked out in KeyCaps, too. Another thing is when the lid is down and I connect the power adapter and turn the mains on, I hear the startup chime as I'm unlatching the upper case ... but that's probably unrelated and the screen bezel is possibly contacting with the power button when the lid is closed.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:25 pm

Many 3rd party ADB keyboards and mice have software to enable extra features, but all I have ever seen do default to pretty standard Apple keyboards and mice without those drivers present.

It is not uncommon for a Powerbook with a dead main battery and dead PRAM battery to start the moment it is plugged into the mains. Many of these sorts of setting are set in the PRAM and revert to some nebulas state when the batteries die or they have set for a long time. This may prove to not be a problem once you have the 3400 back into normal use.

bill

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:48 am

Go to Wegener Media. Direct link to the part you need:

http://www.wegenermedia.com/kangap.htm

New keyboard ( or refurbished - do not know), $19.99

Not too hateful.

I used these guys when I upgraded my 1400. I got a 30 Gb hard drive for it.

HTH

Dave

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.