Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Extensions Disabled/Stuck Shift Key (Page 2 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2
  BigBang (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:43 pm

Many thanks guys, for the helpful replies and the direct link is useful.

I borrowed an ADB keyboard from a Power Mac 5500/225 and find that when connected, the onboard keyboard takes precedence. Is this normal?

So, when I boot with the ADB connected, the Extensions are still disabled. I have to press a few keys on the ADB before it takes over from the inbuilt keyboard and both keyboards work.

My double-clicking to launch items is working from the ADB, which is good but confusing. Is the Track Pad and inbuilt keyboard the one unit?

One other really weird thing from the twilight zone:

I thought that tapping the Shift key would unstick it .... I also tapped the Control key and it stuck down too ... then the PowerBook emited a strange sort of beeping song ... an actual melody ... then the Ctrl key came unstuck after I kept tapping it. I haven't been able to replicate this either.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:29 pm

The trackpad and the keyboard are separate devices on the PB5300 (I am pretty sure they are separate on all Powerbooks.) When you plug in an external keyboard, you will have 2 keyboards and a malfunction in either will effect both.

To eliminate the effects of a stuck shift key on the onboard keyboard you will need to disconnect the onboard keyboard. And until you disconnect it you will experience startups with extensions disabled.

If the keys on the internal keyboard are stuck because of some sticky residue left from something being spilled on it, you might be able to wash it dry it and have it working again.

These keyboards can be washed in the dish washer. Use the top rack, not the hottest water and no detergent. Don't let the dishwasher dry it. Remove it after washing, shake out as much water as you can and let it dry for 24 hours before reinstalling it.

bill

BigBang (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:40 am

Well, I disconnected the inbuilt keyboard and whaddy-ya-know ... ??? Extensions are still disabled at startup ! How bizarre, and I need to tap a few keys on the ADB before it's recognised ... ???

Does this point to anything?

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.