Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: S7T Applications DB... (Page 3 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3
  sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:02 pm

My newest mac is a 4 year old mini. Never had to have the system software reinstalled, works great and will be used for years. My imac is a grey 400. Would still be using it if when I wanted to upgrade all my web and graphics software to adobe cs2 from ps 5. I was using a pc I built as well. I still use my 1400's (3 of them) regularly since I've found this site and maxed out their abilities. This site is a great resource and thanks to Dan for all of his hard work. The next time I upgrade my macs will be if the mini dies or I can't use anything on it. Every thing old has a place, and it's still fun to go into a coffee shop and hook up a 1400 to the wifi with all those pc users looking at me like I was crazy. OS X is more than I need or use, but everyday, I do find it harder and harder to break out the 1400 running, 7.6.1 or 8.6 as needed.

madmann (Profile)
  256 MB

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:39 pm

I cant run 7.6 on my old ibook but i have a bright green one that gets that same look and it is fun.

The best fun was I took it to an asme pressure vessel meeting and was surfing away while the other engineering types used their "new dells" now that was something!

68k (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:36 pm

I honestly think System 7-OS 9 have some very important features that Mac OS X simply lacks. I would prefer OS 9 to Leopard, if not for the compatibility issues. I'm not sure about System 7, but that may be because I haven't used it as much as OS 9.

cballero (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:16 am

I like the OP's enthusiasm for System 7!

Both Baby Boomers and their Generation X have revolutionary history with the "Big Bang" OS when it landed in '91. It made the Macintosh platform relevant and the beautiful machines that Apple developed for the OS. Those old Macs weren't cheap back in the day!

Newer generations can play with it under emulation, but if they are fortunate enough, they may find an older machine that boots into it, just to play with.

A lot of love went into each one. So many software developers went crazy with all of the capabilities and features each little machine offered.

Once we let it go, it's literally gone forever. I think that's why place like S7T, macintoshgarden and other legacy sites have a special place for older Macs.

Just remember, technology ages backwards. Older Operating Systems become the "little" brothers and sisters to the newer ones that are capable of more.

Macs could have died off silently decades ago if it wasn't for the insanely great ideas of Cupertino and most importantly, the Mac users, including the ones in the S7T forums! I grew up in that California city, so I was definitely exposed to the subculture there. Crazy ideas like Newtons, iMacs, iPods and iPhones! Now look at were we are now. Amazing, both then and now...

And I personally want to thank Dan for keeping this part of the Mac legacy alive for those who have never had a glimpse of what it took personally and corporately to bring our current Intel-based Mac OS systems and iOS devices into existence!

Oh, and incidentaly, I just happen to be writing this from my 1400c under System 7, remotely accessing my Leopard Mac with VNC to surf online while I drop some files into my shared Dropbox folder on my 1400c's desktop! Just for fun, here's a link to one of my pre-OS X desktops images https://db.tt/1hdFiqCH Smile

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.