Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Can't get the network to work (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  9600/200 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:37 am

I can't get the network to work on my Power Mac 9600/200 after installing 7.6.1. I have followed the instructions on "how to" by disableing Display Enabler, but it don't work. I have installed OpenTransport again and i have also installed the Asante 10/100 driver again. When I go to Control pannel and "appletalk" to activate the Eternet option i get an error. "Check your network setings..." or somting like that. In the TCP/IP controll panel I don't get any error message.

Have you any solution???

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:47 am

Well for starters the Display problem shouldn't effect you on a 9600/200. From what you describe, it has nothing to do with that. The Display Enabler problem would result in AppleTalk and TCP/IP control panels failing to launch all together, with an error message. So, in conclusion you probably want to re-enable that.

If you're installing an Asante ethernet card, I'm assuming then you have an Asante PCI adapter? If that was the case, and all you see in AppleTalk control panel is "Ethernet" - then your Asante card is not working or not being recognized.

"Ethernet" refers only to the built in Ethernet port on the 9600.

The Asante card should show up as "Ethernet Slot 02" or something to that effect.

Try plugging your ethernet cable into the built-in ethernet and see if that works. If it does (and it will) you're next step will be to verify that the Asante card is working and has the proper drivers.

9600/200 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:04 am

The Asante ethernet card is recognized becuse I se "Ethernet" and "Ethernet port D2" in the popup menue. I still get the same Error message when trying to select one of them.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:46 pm

When you select an AppleTalk network over ethernet, there has to be a cable plugged into the port. So if you tried selecing the built-in ethernet without a cable plugged in, you would then get that same error.

If you did plug it in and are still getting the error... make sure the other end of the ethernet cable is plugged into a hub or router.

Internal ethernet should work regardless of whether or not the Asante card works. If they're both not working then there is some other more severe issue.

EDIT: Was this a clean install of Mac OS 7.6.1 from an installer CD, or did you get this computer second hand with the OS pre-installed, or did you copy the system folder from some other computer?

9600/200 (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:06 pm

The computer was a second hand purchase, but it has a clean install of system 7.6.1 (UK edition). The network cable was pluged in and was conected to a Dual G4 with mac os 10.4.

I plan to do a new clean install soon, so perhaps that will fix the problem.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:03 pm

Ya, before doing anything with the Asante card this time, get the built-in ethernet to work.

It may be a problem with your Asante drivers.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.