Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: My Powerbook 1400c (Page 1 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2, 3  Next
  djb21212 (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:59 am

It's been a while since I posted anything to the forums so I'm just going to jump right in. I mentioned when I introduced myself a few months ago that my powerbook 1400 was the fastest computer I owned. I wasn't satisfied and decided to make it even faster. After searching around, I found out from Lowendmac.com that it could support booting from a flash card (which was good since the old HD was starting to finally show it's age). I sent away to Addonics for their IDE-CF adapter, went to Staples to get a 2GB CF card, and went to work.

At first, I thought I did something wrong since I followed the intructions and had it right side up. That only gave me the Sad Mac screen for the fist time since I owned it. I doubled-checked the connections and, to my surprise, the whoe thing was upside-down! (Oops!) After flipping everything over and trying again, the adapter plugged right in and the CF card slid in just as easily. I inserted my 7.6.1 CD and...

SUCCESS!!! It recognized the card and was ready to format. I installed the system software, got the WaveLAN drivers from this site to go online, and after a while I did an actual road test. It really was much faster and there was the satisfying sound of silence. With that in mind, I personally recommend doing this to your old Powerbooks. All it cost me was $30 and a couple of hours.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:35 am

The PowerBook 1400 is one of the PowerBooks I have never owned(actually I have never even seen one in person). It is a very popular PowerBook in these forums.

It is good to hear of your success. Do you have a working battery for your 1400 and if you do does your current setup give you improved battery life?

bill

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:04 pm

I did do it to my 1400. In fact, mine is not even a Compact Flash card in some kind of adapter, but rather an actual 2.5" Solid State IDE drive.

I really don't think it's faster. I've run tests and have been unconvinced personally. It is, however, super quiet and slightly better on battery. Also less prone to damage.

jjbomfim (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:17 pm

My main writing machine is a 1400c with a CF card and a CF-to-IDE adapter too. I second Dan's opinion in that I didn't find it significantly faster than before. Maybe because it was running a relatively more modern HD (10Gigs, compared to the 1Gig drives that originally came with this model). Changing form a 1 Gig drive might give you more speed. The advantages are there though, as I went the CF route mainly to eliminate the HD noise, and also to be able to pick up the notebook while it is running and not have to worry about vibrations affecting the drive. I do have set up a good backup scheme though, as I understand that flash drives have limited read/write cycels.

djb21212 (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:20 pm

Sadly, the battery life is only slightly better. Before, I was only going a little more than six minutes before the battery died. Now it goes almost ten. Unfortunately, I don't have the finances to have the battery repacked or to get a spare one. Oh well, it's better than nothing.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:23 pm

djb21212 wrote:

Before, I was only going a little more than six minutes before the battery died. Now it goes almost ten.

If you say that it is just 2 minutes shy of doubling your battery life it sounds more impressive. Wink

bill

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.