Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: My Powerbook 1400c (Page 2 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:53 am

I have a 2 Gb CF card in mine. I have also changed out the hard drive. There is a 30 Gb drive in now. I notice that the CF card is slower than the drive.

My battery is dead so I cannot give power usage figures.

What I have done is great a full system and archive of files on the CF. Then I can mess around with the main drive and have a drag and drop backup if required.

djb21212 (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:45 pm

djb21212 wrote:

Sadly, the battery life is only slightly better. Before, I was only going a little more than six minutes before the battery died. Now it goes almost ten. Unfortunately, I don't have the finances to have the battery repacked or to get a spare one. Oh well, it's better than nothing.

Edit: I've been experimenting with recycling the 13-year-old battery and, to my amazement, I've gotten about twenty-three minutes of power out of it! Even after all this time, it just refuses to give up and I'm grateful since I do most of my writing on this machine.

System777 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:48 pm

Hi guys,
I just bought 3 used PB 1400's and am trying to get them all fixed up nice for regular use. I have a few questions about this flash card idea. Can someone tell me where to find detailed instructions for doing this mod? Also, I think I've read somewhere that flash drives in general can only handle a limited number of read/write cycles until they die. That is why they have not been traditionally used as hard drives. Are you using a special kind of CF card or do you just replace it when it goes out? Or maybe you're not using them enough for it to be a big deal (?) Finally, does the flash card go into a special mount inside the case or just into one of the PCM slots?

Thanks!

DaveRhodes (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:19 pm

System777 wrote:

Can someone tell me where to find detailed instructions for doing this mod?
Not much to do... to get to the hard drive, slide the plastic mesh above the keyboard to the left, then remove it. The keyboard lifts right out, and the hard drive is beneath the keyboard in a little tray on the bottom left. You only need a screwdriver to take the hard drive's tray out. A CF card and adaptor fit right in where the HDD was. My 1400 didn't have a tray, so I cut a wooden dowel to size (to prop up the keyboard and keep pressure off the adaptor) and it works just fine.
The only "guide" I've really found is here.

System7.77 wrote:

Also, I think I've read somewhere that flash drives in general can only handle a limited number of read/write cycles until they die. That is why they have not been traditionally used as hard drives. Are you using a special kind of CF card or do you just replace it when it goes out? Or maybe you're not using them enough for it to be a big deal (?)
I did this to my PB 1400 with a 4 GB card in an Addonics adaptor back in March, then I used the PB 1400 daily all summer, reading and writing as normally as System 7 does. I did turn off Virtual Memory to reduce writes. The card's still completely fine. I'm sure there are other people who have run theirs for longer. Yeah, I'm sure the number of writes sounds pretty low, but with the ages of the HDDs you'd be putting in the 'Book anyway, I'm sure the CF card will last longer than any of those.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that once you're out of writes, you can still read the card as much as you want, so you can copy everything to a new card no problem. Let's see an HDD do that!

System007 wrote:

Finally, does the flash card go into a special mount inside the case or just into one of the PCM slots?
You can use a PCMCIA adaptor and the 1400 will boot off of that just fine, but a more permanent and nice-looking solution is to get an Addonics (or a much cheaper one, if you don't mind rolling the dice) adaptor for the hard drive bay.

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:26 pm

We have a place in town called Batteries Plus, they can replace batteries in pretty much any thing. I had them rebuild the battery for a 1400 for $30. I get about 4 hours out of it. I also do the monthly cycleing on them.

DaveRhodes (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:46 pm

sierraredd wrote:

We have a place in town called Batteries Plus, they can replace batteries in pretty much any thing. I had them rebuild the battery for a 1400 for $30. I get about 4 hours out of it. I also do the monthly cycleing on them.
my Batteries Plus quotes me $96 for a 1400 battery rebuild and tells me there's "no way they rebuilt a NiMH battery for $30"

Did you have it rebuilt as NiCd, or is the guy lying to me?

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.