Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Most missed applications? (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  lostprocess (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:40 pm

What sort of application do you find conspicuously absent from System 7 that would improve its usability for you?

So far I find I particularly miss having a solid offline dictionary (I'm trying to track down a copy of American Heritage Talking Dictionary 4.0) and a usable AIM client (I find AOL's to be pretty gross.) For the dictionary I rely on the web, and for the AIM client I SSH to my iMac and use bsflite from the command line, but both these are less than ideal.

What do you miss most and what do you do about it?

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:44 pm

I'm ok with the AIM clients, although they take up a little too much screen space for my liking.

Be sure to download MacSSH from the main site for your Mac OS 7 SSH needs!

American Heritage Dictionary is very good by the way.

Other than that I don't really miss anythng, except a good web browser. A Mozilla port for Mac OS 7 would be sweet, even if it was only partial or stripped down.

jens (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:23 am

So I think we need a System 7 freak with programming skills to get a Mozilla flavoured browser.

I miss that one too.

Does anyone know a person who maybe would be ready to do so?

I know some Atari programmers who are making a browser right know but in the macintosh scene I can't think of anyone as I'm not that in it as I'm in Atari.

I already asked someone who codes on his Mac for a Mac OS 9 compatible version of Mozilla 1.4 and he told me if there does not exist one there'd certainly be reasons for that... Confused

lostprocess (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:43 pm

I'm seriously interested in programming on System 7. I don't have mad skills, but I do have some experience, just not with the classic Mac OS. I have an old copy of CodeWarrior, I recently bought a set of Inside Macintosh, and I'm going to pick up some PowerPlant manuals and see how far I get. The learning curve is pretty steep though, so I'm really not sure if I'll take off.

This is what inspired my question, though, because I have some simple projects in mind that I'd like to do (like an AIM client), and I wanted to see if there was overlap with anyone else's needs.

I expect a Mozilla port is far beyond my abilities for the foreseeable future, but I too am very interested in (technically) what it would take to bring a modern, usable browser to System 7. I'm not sure if Mozilla would be my first choice, though, because of all the overhead the user interface brings along. Adapting WebCore like Nokia did for their Series 60 browser and then building a UI from scratch around it would probably be the closest thing to the right way to do it, but doing things the right way usually is rarely pleasant. I plan to investigate the issues involved, but I doubt I'll get a serious project underway. (Not without help, at least!)

ears (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:12 pm

lostprocess wrote:

I expect a Mozilla port is far beyond my abilities for the foreseeable future, but I too am very interested in (technically) what it would take to bring a modern, usable browser to System 7. I'm not sure if Mozilla would be my first choice, though, because of all the overhead the user interface brings along.

If you are interested in talking to a man who sat down and wrote his own web browser for Mac OS Classic, get in touch with David T. Pierson, who wrote the WannaBe web browser, which I still use every day. (WannaBe works great in System 7, by the way.) David's web site for WannaBe is below:

http://mindstory.com/wb2/

momo (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:47 am

Hi Guys!

If you need a Mozilla-based browser, the last available one for Classic Mac OS software is WamCOM: http://wamcom.org/latest-131/.
I have not tested it on Mac OS 7 yet, so take this as a hint.

iCab 2.9.9a also works, and is the last Classic-OS browser to date...its rendering is poor, however.
The new version (beta 3) works with most websites, but is incredibly slow even on my G3 on Mac OS 9, and requires OS 8.5 for Unicode support... Maybe we could ask the author to provide a "non-unicode" version for older PPC systems... It's quite unlikely, but who knows?
On the other side, has anyone tried adding the Unicode extensions from Mac OS 8.5 to its older system?

I am just a bit disappointed: Mac OS 7.6.1 remains pretty usable on my old computer (PPC 7500/100), but the lack of a decent browser is getting really annoying, more than anything else so far...

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.