Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Web server problems with MacWeb2 (Page 1 of 1)
  LOOM (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:35 am

Hi.

I have an old Macintosh LC running System 7.1 I/my father bought in 1991.
I just have a few notes for the webmaster.

This may be a difficult thing to do something with; but I have problems accessing the site with MacWeb 2.0. It works good with my linux/apache server, but at the S7T server it get's a 500-error (bad server config). The download.s7t.com url just report "cannot find </filename>". when I try to type in the filename directly.
Is this possible to do something with? I know almost all web pages is problematic with MacWeb, but its sad that the old System 7 software can't handle it either Wink
If you are going to scan trough your logs, here is something to look for:
[21/Dec/2008:07:23:11 +0100] "GET / HTTP/1.0" 200 362 "-" "MacWeb/2.0 libwww/2.17"

Been here for quite some years, but sadly I haven't managed to register myself before now. Keep up the good work!

Merry christmas everybody!

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:32 am

LOOM wrote:

Hi.

I have an old Macintosh LC running System 7.1 I/my father bought in 1991.
. . . .
This may be a difficult thing to do something with; but I have problems accessing the site with MacWeb 2.0.
. . .
Been here for quite some years, but sadly I haven't managed to register myself before now. Keep up the good work!

Welcome and glad you were able to get registered.

I used MacWeb V1 for sometime and was excited when MacWeb 2 became available, but overall it was a disappointment. It did not seem to be as reliable and stable as V1 was. There are limited choices when using System 7.1. MacWeb, Mosiac, NetShark and perhaps a early version of Netscape are about the only options. Of course all of them have been left far behind and I think to some measure it could be said they were not that good, when they were new.

The Evolt Browser Site lists about all the old browsers with mostly valid links to still obtain them.

I am sure that Dan will be able to answer question specific to the web site.

bill

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:44 pm

I've designed System 7 Today to work with Netscape 4.8 as a minimum rule of thumb. While it may or may not work with certain older browsers, I don't test for that. As far as server stuff goes, the forum is hosted from Dreamhost and uses PHP scripting and stuff. I'm not sure exactly how such an old browser would be effected by this. If you're running 7.1 I'd suggest trying to find a newer browser, but I don't know what would work with that. Probably an older iCab with the drag and drop extension, if I recall. Or upgrade to 7.6.1.

System 7 Today is no longer served from an actual System 7 computer, although it used to be. My home broadband connection couldn't keep up with the traffic.

LOOM (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:30 pm

I thought you were still running AppleShare IP, but you don't, so this isn't really a issue any more(I just wanted you to know).

wove:
I really had a hard time to get any browsers to work on my LC/7.0. I used a few hours(days?) just to get any files working on it because I started of by scratch (clean 7.0 system). The first file I had to transfer had to be Mac Binary just to install the Aladin expander so I could install something at all.
Thank's for the url! I think I'm buying a newer 64k mac (with higher resolution) for developing purposes soon, so that should became useful!

One more thing (Razz):
Why isn't there any programming forum here? I'm really considering to develop some C-applications for System 7 (and below) soon, so this should be useful for those still programming, and those who once did..

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.