Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: PB 1400 CD/ROM driver issue (Page 1 of 1)
  Spiney (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:06 pm

I've been upgrading my PB1400c and recently installed an Addonics dual IDE/CF adapter with a Transcend 8GB 133x card. It's also got 48MB of RAM and a NewerTech G3/233 card (which, btw, runs much cooler than the stock 603/117). I had been running 9.2.2 on the stock HD and with the exception of the WaveLAN Gold cutting out occasionally everything ran smoothly.

I partitioned the CF card on my 9600 and install 7.6.1 and 8.1 on two of the three partitions. Neither would boot on the 1400 with extensions on. I isolated the problem - the Apple CD/ROM extension stalled the boot sequence every time in both 7.6 and 8.1. I tried moving the extension to the end of the queue and that only delayed the stall. I tried CD/ROM 5.4 and 5.4.1 as well as the Apple CD/DVD Driver 1.4. All produced the same results.

To rule out other hardware issues I reinstalled the stock 603 processor. No luck there. I then move the Addonics adapter and CF card to my backup 1400 and produced the same results.

I'm leaning towards trying an older (slower) CF card, but if anyone has other ideas I'm game. Thanks - Spiney

djb21212 (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:04 am

It sounds to me like it might be the card itself, since on the Lowendman.com webpage that mentions using CF cards, it does mention also that certain cards won't work as well. The one I'm using is a Sandisk 2GB model. Try different ones to see if they work out better.

Spiney (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:09 am

I tried a Sandisk 2GB card and it works fine. Later this week I'll try running the 8GB card in the slave slot and see if I can replicate the problem.

System777 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:57 pm

Hi Spiney,
What kind of SanDisk CF card is it that worked for you with the IDE-CF Interface? I've been looking at the different SanDisk models and I don't know what kind of performance differences you can expect between the models.

Thanks,
David

Spiney (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:49 am

It's labeled "SanDisk 2.0GB CompactFlash". I'm assuming it's one of the older models. 'Got it for $17 with shipping on eBay. The Addonics website shows a SanDisk Ultra II 4GB in in one of the slots, so I suppose those would work. The Transcend 8GB wasn't recognized in the slave slot and the machine wouldn't boot off the SanDisk 2GB if it was in the slave slot.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.