Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Which is worse to work on... (Page 3 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Which one of the following is harder to do?
Remodel a kitchen
52%
 52%  [ 9 ]
Repair or upgrade a classic mac
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Repair or upgrade a new mac
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Repair a window based machine
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 17

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:32 pm

Almost done. Just need tile and paint. Whew! Of course that's the last stuff. Oh, and a light. Just built a 3rd 1400, 133 this time. It runs great with 7.6. Pc died again. What is it that makes pc users so instilled to support micros$#@(*&&%t? Get a mac and you will be happy! Just found a 6 volt to 12 volt converter, so I can take my macs on the road!

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:28 pm

Well the monday before thanksgiving the kitchen was finished. Just in time too, had a full house for the next week. A buddy brought over a directway satelite and hooked it up to an airport basestation. 7 macs and a few pcs all hooked up online running everything from 7.6.1 to 10.4 and those dirty windows machines. This is where spare hard drives come in handy. All of the 1400's used had 7.6 installed onto a spare 750drive. Put those in and configured them all. Buried the important stuff into the systemfolder,in a folder named something like system 7 os. Inside were all the little programs and apps that I didn't want anyone screwing with. Put an alias on the desktop of what they could use and somehow it worked. Some 2x4's and old kitchen doors with a nice table cloth on it and a few folding chairs and there was a working network. Everyone was able to check emails, the fantasy foot ball was busy and there were no computer problems. Fun stressless day, sortof. From tuesday on I was using my new kitchen, have to retile where the wine was splashed on unsealed grout. In all I think 100 or so people blew threw. I'm sure it would have been more stressful if I didn't have the knowledge I have gained from this site. Thanks. And I am done with this thread. Just for you to know, Working on a mac is easier than remodleing a kitchen and both are less frustrating than a windows pc.

Happy holidays

Niki

JoAT (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:59 am

Just saw the thread and voted for repairing the windows PC. It's sad when maintaining a computer means frequently reinstalling the entire OS.

I noticed you mentioned a 6200 in you first post but nothing since. What became of it? Do you trash it because it was "dog slow"?

I love the form factor of the 6200/6300 machines, but the hardware inside was just a mess. All except the 6360, which internally is actually a 6400/6500 machine. I own a 6360 that is fairly heavily upgraded and love the thing.

JoAT

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:34 pm

JoAT wrote:

Just saw the thread and voted for repairing the windows PC. It's sad when maintaining a computer means frequently reinstalling the entire OS.

I noticed you mentioned a 6200 in you first post but nothing since. What became of it? Do you trash it because it was "dog slow"?

I love the form factor of the 6200/6300 machines, but the hardware inside was just a mess. All except the 6360, which internally is actually a 6400/6500 machine. I own a 6360 that is fairly heavily upgraded and love the thing.

JoAT

As for the 6200 performa it's back in it's box. Never got around to using it. I use my mini and 1400's daily, it's a novelty that will never be trashed. It reminds me of my first forey into photoshop and the 2 grand i spent on it. Good times, had a tandy something at 25mhz 6mb ram and a 100 mb hdd that ran dos 5.0. Hated it so much I prefered using a referbished ww2 manual military surplus typewriter. Went into a shop that sold macs and pc's in 95 and dos 6.0 with windows 2 or something played with the mac 7.3 was the inthing and loved it. Never looked back. A year or so later got my 1400 which is only original by the keyboard, and lower case. Pieced together a nice machine. All my software still works. recently upgraded to better software versions when I got the mini but still use 10 year old stuff near daily. it's cheaper than upgrading.
Laters.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.