Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Which is worse to work on... (Page 2 of 3)
Post ReplyGo to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Which one of the following is harder to do?
Remodel a kitchen
52%
 52%  [ 9 ]
Repair or upgrade a classic mac
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Repair or upgrade a new mac
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Repair a window based machine
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 17

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:06 pm

Not much has changed in the kitchen, hit 100 with no a/c. Hot and not doing much.

Playing with all of my 1400's. The super 1400 with the g3 just had a successfull screen tranplant. It's now a C. The screen is super clear and bright. The blur is gone and colors look right. I'm so happy. Fixed the dead 1400 where I pulled the g3 from, a loose hdd cable. Working on the 1400 where I got the C screen from. It works just need to do an install.

I started with a 1400 cs with 64 mb ram and a zip drive module that didn't really work. No cd drive, it died. No floppy it died. A battery that wouldn't charge. In february, I think, it screamed the horrible mac death tone and I got the sad mac icon. I figured I would try to fix it by purchasing a new logic board, it's the second replacement the original died 7 days after I bought it new. So I put that in. It worked! I put in the big drive and it worked, of course I had to get creative when installing the os. I then found out my zip worked fine, logic board issue. Bought a 24x cd.

Then picked up a 1400 with a g3 upgrade in it. It came with a battery that held a 2-3 hr charge, a 2nd vst zip drive. Swapped processors and fixed the hdd cable now I have 2 working 1400's. Then I picked up a 133 1400c for the screen. $38 bucks worth the purchase. I got the screen, a floppy drive, a 6x cd drive, an a/c adapter, case, and a battery that may hold a charge. A quick format and instal of the original 1400 software to test the system and it works. So 3 1400's that work.

So take a 1400 cs 117 that was so close to dead, nearly $200 in upgrades and extras I ended up with a nice usable machine. Just need a decent pc modem and I'm good to go.

Now if I could only get some cooler weather...,

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:39 am

Kitchen has new oak upper cabinets. Those took some time because of a vacation. They look wonderful. And cost aboot 1/8th to do it myself than to have someone else do it.

Sis's windows machine is on her third install. Wish she would get a decent virus protection program. It's down again. So she might have to fix it herself, it takes days to get it going again.

Picked up two more 1400's at a garage sale. Makes 5 now. Hubby thinks I have a problem. Right. they are 117's c model. 48 ram. Would like to upgrade the processors to a 166, but there is problems with that. I did find a logic board processor upgrade for $30 plus shipping. Not sure yet. But concidering most processors are going for more on ebay, maybe. They will be wireless. The city council just voted to make an agreement with a company to make the city wireless. Fee's haven't been discussed yet but hey wifi anywhere would be nice.

Have a nice day
Niki

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:03 pm

Well Updates for all that read this. Kitchen floor is done. All the cabinets are done, just need a bit of finish on one. All thats left for major work is doors. Some trim, a light and paint.

Peeeecee is alive and running. Finally got it all together and running smooth. A bigger hard drive seemed to fix all the sister issues with it. A quick note for pc users. Install everything and get it running on one drive, then copyit to a second drive, and unplug the original. Run off the second drive and if it needs to be reloaded a quick copy and your good to go. This works for some macs too.

macintosh (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:33 pm

hmmm I've done all those things before

re-done a kitchen, fixed a PC, mac and upgraded macs... I have plently of knowledge in both PC and macs... I'd say the kitchen would be the hardest. Not because I don't know what to do, but the amount of time the process takes up.

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:53 pm

If and when the kitchen gets done, most likey in November, I can say that remodeling a kitchen, building/fixing a pc or a mac and the rebuilding of my mustang is some of the most irrutating along with frustrating, things I have everdone. The aggrivation of the pc alone is why I no longer have one. At the end of it all I get such a great deal of satifaction out of all of it. In most cases this is what I do for fun. One week it's build a new 1400. The next week fix the sis's pc again. Throw in the kitchen and it's a hell of a good time. There is something to be said for doing it your self. My Hubby recently figured out what it would cost to have someone do all of these projects. IT was staggering the ammount of money that was saved. We have a ton of time so that was all free. Which reminds me, I have 17 cabinet doors to make.

Niki

sierraredd (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:38 pm

Fix a pc. make a door. fix the pc somemore. Macs still running. The pc aint. Kitchen is almost done, then comes a new toy. Another car to play with. A 1953 chevy. To bad it's not 12 volt, can't run a mac. *sigh*. There are times when things just pile up. But it's not the macs. Added a gravis joystick, marathon is so much easier to play now.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.