Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Largest hard drive on a PB 180? (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  System777 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:21 am

Hello,
I just bought a Powerbook 180 off of eBay and I'd like to upgrade the RAM and Hard Drive. Does anyone here know how large of a drive I can put in this computer? I believe it uses a SCSI interface but what should I look for beyond that?

Thanks!
David

wove (Profile)

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:12 am

The Powerbook 180 uses a 2.5" SCSI drive. From what I recall the largest ones made were about 500MB in size. There were ATA to SCSI adaptors making it possible to use a more common and larger ATA drive.

In practical terms the Powerbook 180 running System 7 would probably be a decent productive machine with an 80-100MB drive. All versions of System 7 use a very modest amount of hard drive space. Productivity application of that era were also very trim compared to their newer versions.

bill

manimal347 (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:56 pm

Wove's right. These drives are very rare now, and your best bet is to pull 2.5" one out of a broken down SCSI PowerBook. Perhaps a drive from a BlackBird 5xx would work? If you need extra mass storage, I suppose you can run a SDCSI ZIP drive.

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:23 pm

I cruised around and found SCSI converters for 2.5/3.5" drives. I am not sure if they would do what you want. Here is the link:

http://www.addonics.com/products/io/

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:37 pm

Lichen Software wrote:

I cruised around and found SCSI converters for 2.5/3.5" drives. I am not sure if they would do what you want. Here is the link:

http://www.addonics.com/products/io/

That is unlikely to be very useful inside of a PowerBook.

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:26 am

Hi Dan,

You are probably right. But it does say both 3.5" and 2.5" drives, so the possibility is there.

Also, I do not know the capacity per volume that this powerbook will read. So even if it would work, there could be some pre-partitioning required.

The idea is that with the link, if they are serious, they can contact these people and see what if any their options are.

Also, in general terms, the ability to put standard drives into older desk top machines that originally came with SCSI is a great benefit. So the link could be useful for those people.

Dave

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.