Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Recommended CF Cards (Page 1 of 1)
  System777 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:18 pm

Hello,
Can any of you power users recommend a good quality Compact Flash card for use with a PowerBook 1400c/166? I'm thinking 1 to 2GB. Something fast but not ridiculously expensive. Also, can these things be used to transfer files to & from IBM-PC's?

Thanks alot!

David

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:43 pm

CF cards are becoming quite a commodity now. You usually can find dozens on eBay, perhaps even hundreds, and they're all of roughly similar quality. It's like floppy disks.

That being said, better brands include SanDisk and Lexar.

DaveRhodes (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:26 pm

I use a Topram 4 GB card in my 1400. It was really cheap on Ebay and looked totally shady, but it's never given me any trouble, so...

DaveRhodes (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:30 pm

Oh yeah, also...
System777 wrote:

Also, can these things be used to transfer files to & from IBM-PC's?
Sure, there's nothing that the Mac does to prevent them from being read by a PC... aside from formatting it HFS if it's going to be the boot drive.

There are utilities to read HFS on Windows and Linux though.

If you don't use it for booting, but use it for extra storage, you could format it FAT 32. Macs can read and write FAT 32... at least all the versions of the System software that can be installed on the 1400 will. Only thing is, I'm not sure how gracefully it handles the lack of a resource fork.

System777 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:01 pm

Thanks for all your responses. I've looked at various CF cards on Amazon and I'm not sure which types will work with the PCM slots on my 1400. Can I use Type I, II, and/or III? Is there a limit to the size it will read? I'll either be running OS 7.5 or 8.1.

David

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:18 am

You need a CF to PCMCIA adapter to use the slot. Then get the CF card that fits the adapter.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.