Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: PB 1400 & OS 7.5.3 (Page 1 of 2)
Post ReplyGo to page 1, 2  Next
  System777 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:19 am

So I now own a Powerbook 1400c/133 that's running OS 8.6, which is a cool OS, but I find that it's just way too slow. I'd like to downgrade to OS 7.5.3. I downloaded the 19 free 7.5.3 images from Apple's website onto my PC. My question is, what is the next step? Can I just copy these files to floppies from my IBM-PC and then copy them to the Powerbook's hard drive? Or would I do better to burn a CD? Then once I have the images on the Powerbook, what utility/procedure do I need to run to get the ball rolling? My background is PC, so some of this new to me.

Thanks!

David

wove (Profile)

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:36 pm

System777 wrote:

So I now own a Powerbook 1400c/133 that's running OS 8.6, which is a cool OS, but I find that it's just way too slow. I'd like to downgrade to OS 7.5.3. I downloaded the 19 free 7.5.3 images from Apple's website onto my PC. My question is, what is the next step? Can I just copy these files to floppies from my IBM-PC and then copy them to the Powerbook's hard drive? Or would I do better to burn a CD? Then once I have the images on the Powerbook, what utility/procedure do I need to run to get the ball rolling? My background is PC, so some of this new to me.

The images are floppy sized so they can be transfered using a floppy drive, however they do not need to be put on floppies to be useful. Probably the easiest way to transfer the files is to burn the 19 images onto a CD right on the PC. The Powerbook running OS 8.6 should be able to read the CD.

Copy the images from the CD onto the Powerbook 1400 hard drive. Once all the images are on the Powerbook 1400, open image number one (double click it). Once that image mounts, it will appear on the desktop as a drive, probably just below the harddrive icon on the desk top.

If the image does not open on it own double click it. Inside you will find the installer. Double click the installer and follow the prompts. The normal install will install 7.5.3 on the hard drive. You will end up with a System Folder and an Old System Folder. When you restart your 1400 it will boot up in System 7.5.3.

bill

System777 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:34 pm

I tried Bill's recommendations, but it didn't work. When I ran the installer, it said it didn't recognize the computer. Any ideas?

Thanks,

David

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Hi David,

Open all of the disk images on another computer.

When opened, the contents are probably in folders named Disk 1, Disk 2 etc. If they are that's perfect.

Burn all of the the folders on one CD. Mount the CD in the PB 1400 and open Disk 1 and start the install. It should see each of the other folders in turn.

If that does not work, try dragging the folders onto your desk top.

I don't think that the installer is smart enough to open sequential disk images on it's own.

I forget what program I did this with, something on floppies that I was afraid the floppies were deteriorating. It worked for that program.

IronTooth (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:18 am

System777 wrote:

I tried Bill's recommendations, but it didn't work. When I ran the installer, it said it didn't recognize the computer. Any ideas?

Thanks,

David

The early PB1400s originally shipped with System 7.5.3, but the installer provided on the PB1400 CD also installed an 'enabler' file. Apple provided these enabler files so that new computer models could work with existing system software that didn't recognize the computer. I haven't seen this particular enabler available for download anywhere, and from your experience, it may be that a purpose-built installer (i.e. - the one on the PB1400 CD) may be required as well as the enabler.

- Don

System777 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:17 pm

The particular 1400 I'm working on has OS 8.6. I tried to find the enabler file in the System Folder, but I don't know what I'm looking for. Does anybody know what this file would be named?

On a side note, I was able to successfully install 7.5.3 on a PB 180 I just bought, but it had a totally obvious System Enabler file sitting in the System Folder. Plus I was upgrading from OS 7.1 which I understand is a smoother operation than downgrading.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.