Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: My current macs. (Page 1 of 1)
  Devon (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:18 pm

Ok so here are all the current macs I own that actually run and are not all apart.

1. PowerMacintosh 5500/275 64mb 4gig 12xcd tv tuner with remote and all the other video inputs running system 8.6 use it still as a tv mainly.

2. Powerbook 180c 14mb i think a 320hd I use it as a journal and to play old games. runing 7.5.3

3. Performa 578 with full 68040 33mhz 36mb ram 700hd 4x cd 7.53 use for games and sometimes internet

4. macintosh classic 2mb 40hd system 7.01 don't use it for much.

I also have a LC, Perfoma 475, a classic 2 and se and various mac parts.

I love system 7 but have little use for the macs now. oh and I also have a IBM Thinkpad 760cd I was running softmac using 7.5.5 on it.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:56 pm

If you want a good experience with System 7, you really aught to find version 7.6.1.

As you'll find re-iterated on this site time and time again, 7.5.x and 7.6.x are totally different in terms of stability, powerpc optimization, compatibility with more modern apps and technologiese, and speed. Namely, 7.6.1 has much more of all that compared to 7.5.x.

AlphaKilo470 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:19 pm

Well, my PowerBook 1400c shipped to me with 7.6 but I really felt like a lot of features were missing after having used OS 9.2 on a Wallstreet G3 for a month so I decided to compromise by installing OS 8.6 on the computer. I find it to run every bit as well as 7.6 but without as much clutter as OS9 and I can run almost every app that claims to require OS9.

I just recieved a Duo 250 today with 7.6 installed and it runs like a charm. If I'm not mistaken, 7.6 is the highest OS that will run without special hacks on an 030 machine but on this thing, it runs very fast and very stable.

Oh, Devon, what software did you use to run 7.5 on your ThinkPad? I use basilisk II to run 7.6 on my ThinkPad 600E and it's almost like using a real Mac in many aspects.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:30 pm

AlphaKilo470 wrote:

I decided to compromise by installing OS 8.6 on the computer. I find it to run every bit as well as 7.6

Believe us, it doesn't. See the benchmarks page. I would guess you maybe didn't have a fully optimized install of 7.6.1 (including LibMoto and SpeedDoubler).

In fact, those benchmarks were run even before I discovered Motorola's LibMoto PowerPC math libraries for Mac OS 7. Sometime in the future, when I run them again, they will certainly be even more in favor of Mac OS 7 than they already are.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.