Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: New to macs have Starmax 3000/200 (Page 1 of 1)
  tranzeagle (Profile)
  1 MB

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:39 pm

I am trying to get this mac up and running. I have know idea of how to do it though. It comes with a floppy but my pc has no floppy. Is there any way of formating the hard drive from the pc and putting the mac os on the drive from the pc. Then load it in the mac? I had to replace the hard drive because it went bad. I replaced it with a same size hard drive, but I won't know if that works on Macs. My area of knowledge is in pcs.

wove (Profile)

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:58 pm

tranzeagle wrote:

I am trying to get this mac up and running. I have know idea of how to do it though. It comes with a floppy but my pc has no floppy. Is there any way of formating the hard drive from the pc and putting the mac os on the drive from the pc. Then load it in the mac? I had to replace the hard drive because it went bad. I replaced it with a same size hard drive, but I won't know if that works on Macs. My area of knowledge is in pcs.

A Mac hard drive is formatted either as HFS or HFS+ and I am not aware of any way to do that from a PC.

The operating system is typically installed from a CD and the installer CD should boot the system. Probably the most ready source for an installer CD would be eBay, or the LEM SwapList.

I am sure others with more familiarity with the StarMax machines will chime in with more pertinent information. It sounds like a very interesting machine.

bill

Adam The Mac (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:49 am

You can format hard drives w/ HFS/+ using HFV explorer. But, unless you have system files from a working Starmax, it won't do any good

24bit (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:07 pm

Most IDE drives should be all right with Starmax.
Mac files systems differ from Windows quite a bit. In any case a new HDD has to be initialized with DriveSetup or a third party low level formatter, to make it usable for the Mac.
Look for retail Mac OS CDs, OS7.6 or higher.
A disk image of such a CD can be burned to disk with e.g. ImgBurn on a PC.
To boot your Mac from CD press "c" on the keyboard during startup. Run the Installer on the CD, you will be guided through the setup procedure.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.