Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Connect to the Internet (Page 1 of 1)
  68k (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:19 pm

How can I connect my PowerBook 180 to the internet, and where can I find a modem card to put into the back?

Lichen Software (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:53 am

You may have trouble. From what I can find, the modem slot is proprietary, so there are probbly not a whole lot of them around.

http://lowendmac.com/pb/powerbook-180.html

This gives the specs.

It does however have two serial ports. Maybe you can find a Mac external modem to work.

68k (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:35 pm

Thanks for the info. I pulled a modem out of a G3 iMac that I use for spare parts. It seems as though I could slide it into the PowerBook, but I'm afraid to open the computer unless I know exactly what I'm doing.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:38 pm

68k wrote:

Thanks for the info. I pulled a modem out of a G3 iMac that I use for spare parts. It seems as though I could slide it into the PowerBook, but I'm afraid to open the computer unless I know exactly what I'm doing.

Yeah, that's not going to work. You have to get a PowerBook 180-specific modem. It has it's own type of port and a physical sizing and stuff.

68k (Profile)
  4 MB

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:31 pm

I uncovered several external modems that plug in perfectly to my PowerBook. I still have two questions...

Q: I have DSL. Will I still be able to use the service with a modem?

Q: My PowerBook does not include a web browser. How can I put one onto it? (The floppy drive does not work.)

wove (Profile)

Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:43 pm

DSL will not work with a modem connected to the serial port. To use DSL one needs network capabilities. For a Powerbook 180, one could use a SCSI to Ethernet converter or converter to translate AppleTalk to Ethernet. Some DSL services do provide a phone number for internet connection for use when you are not connected to your network. (Earthlink DSL for instance provides 10hrs of dialup service.)

There are several old browsers that will work with a 68030 processor and System 7.1 and greater. Evolt has an extensive list of old browsers. System7Today lists a couple 680x0 browsers as well.

bill

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.