Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: How to get 128-bit WEP to work with WaveLAN Setup? (Page 1 of 1)
  Raven VII (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:26 pm

I have an Orinoco Gold card, so it's definitely capable of 128-bit WEP. But in the WaveLAN Setup control panel, when I went to encryption and entered my WEP key as given to me by my AirPort Extreme, I couldn't type in enough characters - it stops letting me enter character at about the midpoint. How can I get it to connect to a 128-bit network? I tried downgrading the security to 40-bit, but when I entered the key and clicked OK, I got an error.

Can anyone help?

Raven VII (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:55 pm

It seems I've found a solution to my problem. Simply make your password 13 characters for 128-bit. And voila!

But I'm still having problems... This card just refuses to connect to a AP I tell it to connect to. It only works if I put in ""ANY". Anything else, and it just won't work. Can anyone help me out?

Raven VII (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:32 pm

<sheepish>Problem solved... I forgot that I set up access control, and put in my PB's MAC address, and voila! It works!</sheepish>

Still, I did learn something out of this - 13 characters for a 128-bit WEP password makes archaic hardware happy! Very Happy

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:13 am

Wait I'm confused... give me a quick recap of all the steps you took to solve your original problem please:

Raven VII (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:22 pm

Basically, the WEP password on my router is set to a password that's more than 13 characters. When I changed the password to exactly 13 characters, it worked. As for the second problem, that's just my own stupidity - I forgot that I set MAC address authenication with my AirPort, which means only machines with the MAC address on the list are allowed onto the network - I forgot to add the MAC address of my 1400cs.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.