Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: My 2 problems O/S 7 and O/S 8 (Page 1 of 1)
  woopie49 (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:52 pm

Hi guys, I would appreciate any advice/input on these 2 problems I have with a PPC 8500 running 2 internal hd's, one with O/S 7.5.5 (upgraded from 7.5.3 Rev2) and the other with O/S 8.6. I am not sure where to post this one.

Long long story cut long

1) concerning O/S 7.5.3 Rev2, (original problem)

I originally bought a Quadra 800 back in '93, upgraded ram to 57meg, upgraded onboard video ram to then max 512k (if I remember correctly), put in an E-machines 3meg 24bit card and ran an 23" NEC 6FG monitor from the card to do CAD work (ArchiCad). Everything worked properly/no problems for about 6 years (including any programs/3rd party extensions I loaded and upgrading to Sys 7.5.3 Rev2). Then one day the monitor decided to "give up the ghost" so I bought a second hand 17" AppleVision 1510 Display as the 6FG was too old to be fixed (no parts available)

I couldn't remember how to properly adjust the resolution on the card to suit the 17' monitor (mislaid the manual somewhere) tried different setting, but no go, so I took out the video card and just ran the onboard video - res 1024 x 768 @ 256 colours for this monitor. Not long after doing this, the resolution started to go "haywire" at start up, it reverted to 640 x 480 res on startup now and again with only the 640 res showing in the monitors panel, reboot and it would restart in 1024 x 768 res mode. ?????. I read somewhere that Apple acknowledged a prob with 7.5.3 Rev2 and the AppleVision monitors. I have tried everything I know including zapping PRAM, new battery, using different monitor panel extension (from 8.6), checking extensions 1 by 1 for incompatibilities, and also installed the AppleVision fix to no avail, so I upgraded to 7.5.5 but the problem still persisted. The Quadra with these specs was all I required to do my work up until this problem arose. "Mothballed" the Quadra as it was getting "long in the tooth" by now (7 years) and bought a G4.

After a 3 years with the Quadra gathering dust in the corner, I decided to resuscitate it. The problem was still there (it did not "magically fix it self" during it's rest period), so I would boot, reboot to get into 1024 x 768 mod, one too many reboots unfortunately and the power supply packed it in. By now my dearly beloved Quadra was 12 years old. I pulled a few parts from it including the HD and threw the rest of the mini tower, unfortunately I did not realize there was such a market for parts until I started surfing around on eBay after buying the 8500 (another story).

Anyway, I bought a PPC 8500 (128meg/4meg vid/2gig HD, fresh install 8.6 on it) from eBay here in AussieLand for $A75 in excellent condition and installed the old HD from the Quadra that had the CAD software on it (main reason buying this Mac - ADB fittings/form factor), hooked up the AppleVision monitor, trackball, extended keyboard and my 2 old printers from the Quadra, 1 being a QMS 860 A3 postscript printer and the other an Apple colour SW 1500 using phone-net connection. Everything exactly as how I had the Quadra set up for peripherals.

Herein lies my 2 problems, when I boot from the O/S 7 HD, the monitor problem arises again but everything else works fine including printing from these 2 printers.

2) concerning Sys 8.6. (printing)

When I boot from the O/S 8 HD everything works fine except for printing. The 2 printers on AppleTalk do not show up in Chooser. Drivers are loaded correctly, AppleTalk is on, background printing is off. The 8500 will talk to the printers when I open up Printer Utility to make desktop printers (thru both the printer and modem ports). Once the printer configuration icons are on the desktop and I drop something on it to print, a dialog box comes up and says use Chooser to select the printer, but no icons in Chooser except AppleShare.

Is there something that I have forgotten to do in 8.6

Would definitely appreciate any advice/input - thankyou

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:07 pm

Try doing a clean install of Mac OS 7.6.1 (NOT 7.5.anything). You'll find that 7.6.1 is significatnly more stable, faster, and has more features than 7.5. If that is not an immidiate option make sure you have removed all the E-Machines video card drivers.

If you have a 10 year old installation of Mac OS 7, you really aught to do a fresh new install.

As an unrelated side note, "PowerPC" is not the type of computer, its simply indicates that it has a PowerPC processor. It is proper to call the computer by its actual name, in this case "Power Macintosh" or "Power Mac" for short.

woopie49 (Profile)
  2 MB

Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:14 pm

Thanks for quick reply dpaanlka. I do not have 7.6.1, only 7.5.3 orig disks and downloaded the 7.5.5 update. Any thoughts on the printing problem in 8.6

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:22 pm

For future reference, Mac OS 8 discussion is not allowed anywhere but in the Off Topic Area. Also, try to separate all of your questions into individual topics.

Anyway, you have to choose LaserWriter in chooser, regardless of what type of printer you have, if you are printing using the Printer Utility. Make sure you are using the latest version of the LaserWriter software. I don't know what that is for Mac OS 8, but for Mac OS 7 it's 8.6. If LaserWriter 8 does not show up in the Chooser, then you have a messed up installation, or you don't have the latest version.

You really really aught to go find Mac OS 7.6 somewhere. It will probably solve your problem. 7.5.x is a menace.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.