Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: H.264 or MP4 video in os 7-9 (Page 1 of 1)

What is your favorite post system 7 operating system?
System 7
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
OS 8
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
OS 9
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
OS X
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 11

zchary (Profile)
  1 MB

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:08 pm

I have been using system 7 and OS 9.0 for about 10 years, and the only setback was not being able to play h.264 or mp4 video on os 9, is there some mac os 9 plugin that i can use with quicktime 5. Thanks

System777 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:28 am

I just checked into this recently and as far as I can tell, H.264 is not possible in OS 7-9. According to Wikipedia, you'll need Quicktime 7 for H.264 playback which requires OS X. I don't know if there's another solution out there. I have found that some versions of MP4 ARE compatible with Quicktime 6, but you'll need at least OS 8.6. Sorry I can't be more specific at this time.

David

System777 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:32 am

Addendum to last message. You mentioned using Quicktime 5. With OS 9, you can use Quicktime 6, which does have MPEG-4 video compatibility.

douglas (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:17 pm

zchary wrote:

I have been using system 7 and OS 9.0 for about 10 years, and the only setback was not being able to play h.264 or mp4 video on os 9, is there some mac os 9 plugin that i can use with quicktime 5. Thanks

Good luck with h.264 under OS 9. I tried to find something that would play that video for my os 9.x machine and finally gave up. I doubt that anything is powerful enough to play that decoder except with some kind of hardware acceleration anyways. In fact, the ONLY way that I can play full screen High Def (720p) h.264 video on my 1.67 Ghz PowerBook G4 is to use "Mplayer OS X Extended" and tweak the settings. Trust me on this, I have spent a LOT of time trying to figure out another way to do this and Mplayer is the ONLY option that works smoothly. Quicktime just sucks and is like chop, chop, chop on a G4.

BUT, if you do happen to find a way to play this type of video, please share it here!!!!

Douglas

Smile

System777 (Profile)
  32 MB

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:00 am

Amazingly enough, I did actually find a way to play h.264 on OS 9 (well, sort of). It requires the use of an OS X or Windows machine in addition to your old Mac. There are a number of free converter apps out on the web that will turn h.264 into older types of MPEG-4, such as DIVX, XVID, or even older formats such as MPEG-1 or MPEG-2. I also downloaded the 3ivx decoder for OS 9 which greatly improves video playback of the aforementioned codecs. You do add another generation to the video compression, but if you start off with a good file, the picture quality is pretty decent if you use the right settings.

So, I can actually play modern podcasts & movies on my old Mac Classic Laptop, which is pretty impressive. No, it's not really playing h.264, but I think it's as close as you're going to get. Though I haven't tried it, I'm pretty sure it would also be possible to take this a step further and play these files on a System 7 machine, provided you have the right configuration.

Hope this helps.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.