Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: Using System 7 with large hard disks? Partition the drives. (Page 1 of 1)
  ears (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:17 pm

As noted in the System 7 Today FAQ, one limitation of System 7 is that it uses HFS rather than HFS+ to format hard disks, which as Dan says, "makes terrible and inefficient use of hard drive space by making the minimum size of a file a percentage of the hard drive size." One way to alleviate this problem is to partition large hard disks.

I use a Power Macintosh 5400, which I have been using continuously since I bought it almost 10 years ago in July 1996. The machine originally shipped with a 1.6 GB hard disk. Around the year 1999 the hard disk began crashing repeatedly, forcing me to reformat the drive multiple times. The drive finally died in 2001. (A note to owners of old Macs: your hard drive will die eventually, so be prepared and back up regularly!)

I replaced the original 1.6 GB hard disk with a 40 GB hard disk. To avoid wasting disk space by using such a relatively massive drive with HFS, I formatted the disk with three partitions: one 2 GB partition with the contents of my original drive and most of my smaller files, and two 17 GB partitions for larger files and scratch disks.

I have found this solution to work fairly well in lowering the minimal file size to an acceptable size. The minimum file size will be even smaller if you use more partitions.

jens (Profile)
  64 MB

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:43 am

Are you able to use the bigger partitions with System 7?

bd1308 (Profile)
  128 MB

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:18 pm

I just installed a 40GB drive in my server computer.

It worked fine, I want to try a 160GB soon...

b

ears (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:59 am

jens wrote:

Are you able to use the bigger partitions with System 7?

The configuration that I described above works perfectly for me. My Power Mac 5400 had no difficulty recognizing the replacement 40 GB hard drive (a standard 5400 RPM 3.5" hard drive from Western Digital) and the three partitions that I described above have worked flawlessly for the past 5 years. Each partition appears on the desktop as a separate disk. The 2 GB partition is my startup disk, with all my applications and many smaller documents on it. The two 17 GB partitions appear as separate disks on the desktop just below the startup disk. It works great, and it was very easy to set up.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:41 am

On my PowerBook 3400c, I used a 40gb hard drive with a single 40gb partition, and that worked fine too.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.