Home | SearchFAQ You are not logged in: Register | Log In

Please Read:
An important message from System 7 Today founder Dan Palka

Topic: PowerBook Battery Menubar Indicator (Page 1 of 1)
  lostprocess (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:52 pm

I've got System 7.6.1 running on my new (to me, of course) 3400c and one thing I'm wondering is what extension or control panel is providing the battery status indicator (the LEGO brick) in the menubar? Are there any replacements for it? If not, I think I need to do a ResEdit hack!

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:53 pm

The Date & Time control panel, oddly enough. You can switch it off. Perhaps I will look into a ResEdit hack, to make the battery indicator more Mac OS 8 like.

lostprocess (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:15 am

It's always in the last place you'd think to look!

My god that's a strange place for it!

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:38 am

The reason it's there is because back in the System 6 days there was no clock, and to get a clock you'd get this shareware app caleld SuperClock!

Apple ended up bundling SuperClock! into Mac OS 7 by merging it with the new Date control panel. The battery level indicator is a relic from the SuperClock! days.

lostprocess (Profile)
  16 MB

Posted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:35 am

Aha! Yeah, I remember SuperClock! and that makes a little more sense. I checked it out with ResEdit, and the battery icon doesn't make an obvious appearance (but I could be overlooking something.)

I also checked the Date & Time from 8.1 and couldn't find anything in the resource fork. That control panel requires Appearance Manager to function so I wasn't able to try it out, either.

Are there any other battery level indicators for the menu bar that aren't so... fugly?

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.