32 MB

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:35 am

I love the Mario 64 frame rate!!

Douglas

Smile

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:23 am

Appearance Manager defeats the purpose of Mac OS 7 having a faster GUI - I highly disrecommend using that or any software that "requires" that. Also, you can disable those very un-Mac like underlined menus that Speed Doubler 8 installs, if you so desire.

Radeons don't accelerate 256 colors by the way. And regardless, an N64 emulator would of course not be accelerated since it has nothing to do with QuickDraw 3D RAVE.

fogWraith (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:48 am

Appearance Manager is easy enough to remove when not using, oddly enough most emulators require AM, why is beyond me.

Sixtyforce 0.6 uses Millions of colours when emulating, and I'm quite sure it would be faster if my hardware were that of a newer computer. It would also beat on me if OpenGL was not found & could not be set up.

Still, I got the results that I wanted, as shown on the screenshots.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:56 am

fogWraith wrote:

most emulators require AM

Which is why none of them are on this site. I despise Appearance Manager.

fogWraith wrote:

Sixtyforce 0.6 uses Millions of colours when emulating

Oh, I just assumed from all the little dots on your background picture that it was in 256 color mode.

fogWraith wrote:

It would also beat on me if OpenGL was not found & could not be set up.

Huh???

fogWraith (Profile)
  8 MB

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:13 am

It's a matter of taste I guess, either you like it or you don't. =)

And as for the final quote there, Sixtyforce would complain about not finding or not being able to set up OpenGL if it wasn't installed on the system, I took the liberty of installing 1.0 from Apple and it worked.

I'm bad at explaining, especially in English. Sorry.

dpaanlka (Profile)
  1024 MB

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:20 am

fogWraith wrote:

It's a matter of taste I guess, either you like it or you don't.

It's actually beyond simply liking or disliking the Mac OS 8 apperance. Apperance Manager was never 100% optimized for Mac OS 7, and there are enough little bugs here and there that annoy me to the point where I can't use it. I'll try to explain the best I can, it can be rather confusing...

In Mac OS 7.6.1, the GUI is largely 68k coded, and placing Apperance Manager on top of that doesn't change that, it simply "skins" it, so even on PowerPC Macs you're rendering Mac OS 8's more complex GUI through 68k emulation. Yuck.

Mac OS 7's black and white GUI is faster through 68k emulation than Mac OS 8's native PowerPC platinum GUI, however Mac OS 8's platinum GUI running through 68k emulation on Mac OS 7 runs slower than all of them.

Fastest - Mac OS 7's Built in GUI
Average - Mac OS 8's Built in GUI
Slow - Mac OS 7 running Mac OS 8's GUI

Also, Apperance Manager on Mac OS 7 often leaves screen artifacts, doesn't redraw properly, and gosh darnit makes WindowShade crazy! I suppose if your personal taste overwhelms all of the above facts, then you're right it's a matter of personal taste.

I should make this an article on why not to use Apperance Manager.

That is very intersting about OpenGL, I was originally going to include version 1.2.4 with my Radeon drivers but I couldn't find any software that used it. But at least that verify that OpenGL does in fact work. Now I just need to find softwar that will use it and not install Apperance Manager.

Topic Tools

Start New Topic in this folder.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

© 2010 System7Today.com.
The Apple Logo, Macintosh™, Mac OS™, and others property of Apple Computer, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc.